upside down radiator !?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Is there anything against fitting a standard radiator upside down?
The reason I ask is that on a 'boat' I am fitting out, the pipes come to the radiator from above and it would be easier than running pipes down the side and back up into valves at bottom. Or is this a No No ?
Thankyou Steve

Sponsored Links
you could have one connenting on the top and have the other coming down to the bottom on the other side? maybe not as easy as you hoped but still less work.

Those replies were quick !! Cheers

I dont doubt it wont heat properly .. but why, if water is being pumped through it ?

Thanks again Steve

Sponsored Links
Some Stelrad radiators have a dip tube built in and would allow you to pipe at the top.

Part of the spreading of the heat in a rad is based on good old gravity; the hot rises, and the cold sinks. When you "drain" from the top, you take the hot water away in stead of the cold.

im with Mehran, for the top/bottom opposite entry. As the water cools it falls to the bottom of the rad and then exits back to the boiler.

Ze cheese eating zurrender monkeys do it zees ways nestpas?

Obviously no-one read my post post :cry:

Some Stelrads have a bottom entry, with a dip tube that runs to the top of the rad, if it was turned upside down the tube would go the the bottom. :eek:

Those replies were quick !! Cheers

I dont doubt it wont heat properly .. but why, if water is being pumped through it ?

Thanks again Steve

because hot water rises to the top so the cold water will only gradualy mix
if nothing is forcing the flow down the water will just travel accross the radiator at the top with a very gradual transfer off heat
as a complete guess the radiator will be 30 to 40 percent efficiant maximum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back