Vertical Radiator Flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 7 years ago I asked for help on flow in my system...
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/bypass-valve-still-flowing-when-fully-wound-down.249725/

I lived with this last radiator giving mostly poor output but now all my other radiators have been renewed with brand new Drayton TRV4 valves. And still the last vertical radiator is not flowing enough. I originally thought my bypass valve was the problem but now I've discovered it might just be the flow is racing straight through the bottom of the radiator.

So is it true that vertical radiators (mine's 2.0m tall) need an internal diverter? Could my radiator have one but it has just been installed upside down?

The radiator is from Radiating Style and is 2000 x 435 with 8 vertical T shaped bars connected by two horizontal tubes at top and bottom. I have looked at the top and see a sticker marked "DIAFRAMMA". Perhaps it means this is the end with a diaphragm and should be at the bottom?

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Photos of your radiator (not sales/brochure adverts) to show connections and complete radiator will help the guys here diagnose poor circulation.

Did you ask the company you purchased the radiator from ? Some are just importers only with no tech advice or any link to the makers which are often in china.

Did it come with an installation diagram or instructions,post it here aswell.

Its very fixable,just supply photos of the vertical rad,they do differ in their installation method.

Here are some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_2212.JPG
    IMG_2212.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_2213.JPG
    IMG_2213.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 875
  • IMG_2206.JPG
    IMG_2206.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 671
Sponsored Links
At least your pipes on this rad are already on the side wall.

Had same prob last year with a different vertical rads and the pipework alteration was the only remedy,they get roasting hot after the alteration.

Last edited by a moderator:
lOADS OF THEM VERTICAL'S FITTED INCORRECTLY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great. If there is a plug in the top that would explain the problem. I did think about a change to the pipes to put the flow in to the top right (the TRV is on the return). But if there is a hidden diverter would this stop the flow getting to the left hand side of the radiator?

"Identify diverter position"

The factory fitted diverter can be identified by a ‘diaframma’
sticker found on the underside of one collector. The radiator must
be hung with the diverter at the bottom. If this sticker is missing
simply look into both collectors, one will have a clear water way
and one will have a deliberate blockage, this deliberate blockage
is the diverter.

http://www.theradiatorcompany.co.uk/files/9914/6771/0514/TRC_25_vertical_TR25V1.3.pdf

regards

Your radiator is fitted upside down , not a big job to swap it round.

Needs a clean at the top/bottom though... have a word with the domestic engineer! :sneaky:

Seven years (with some support from this forum) to find out the solution is so obvious. I wonder how many vertical radiators are in the same state.

Must get on to the fitter to exercise a 7 year warranty!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back