Vertical radiator top/bottom and flow?

its a column rad lots can only be fitted one way as they have a baffle in the flow

Sponsored Links

If RTFM is too wussy for Woody then email the manufacturers technical support directly to confirm approved connection positions and flow orientation.

That's quite butch and engineeringy, n'est pas?

Woody (or anyone with a vertical radiator), did you fit this radiator, if so does it function OK?

I've just had one delivered and I'm also surprised to see no baffle / block. I'm wondering weather to fit it as I wouldn't have expected it to work well vertically.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
Why not? Hot water rises, so as long as you fit it the right way up it will be fine.
When you first turn on the heating, feel a normal radiator at the bottom. Only a couple of inches around the valve gets hot before the top edge gets warm.

I suppose so!. Just worried it would take ages to heat 1800mm rather than 600!

It doesn't look like it has a right way up. it's completely symmetrical.

There must be a reason why some are supplied baffled (and then do require fitting the right way up)

Not sure, maybe with a really high flow rate it would help.
To be honest theoretically radiators should be fed at the top either end and the return should be at the bottom in the middle. Then the water would sink as it cools then drop out at the bottom. But for either simplicity or neatness we don't bother.

@John D v2.0 the older generation on here will remember the twin entry radiator valves, where both pipes went into the same valve and a length of plastic tubing was inserted into the flow and pushed through the bottom of the rad , worked great till someone took the rad off to decorate and dint know there was a tube to re-connect

I've just had one delivered and I'm also surprised to see no baffle / block. I'm wondering weather to fit it as I wouldn't have expected it to work well vertically.
just follow the supplied instructions,if no instructions wonder why !

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back