Plumbing advice needed - pipes hammering/banging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

Hoping someone with plumbing experience can give me some advice. We've moved into our house about 6 months ago and we noticed that occasionally there was a very loud, intermittent rattling/banging noise that occurred immediately after we flushed the toilet. The problem would continue until you flushed the toilet again which seemed to cure it.

The problem got worse recently so I tried to re-balance the air pressure in the pipes. This seemed to calm it down but the issue is still occurring. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I was recently poking around in the toilet cistern (fixing an apparently unrelated problem) when I noticed that the banging occurred when a small tube of clear plastic attached to the fill valve seemed to get blocked up as the cistern tried to fill back up. I've enclosed a picture of the tube I'm talking about below to better illustrate my point; it's on the right of the picture, please excuse the grime!

Any advice or info that someone can offer as to how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated. If you need anything else explaining just let me know and I'll do me best.

Cheers

NGU

View media item 90905

Sponsored Links
Is this a wind up, re-balancing air pressure in the pipes?? :confused:

Being an accepting kind of person tho, I'll take it as a genuine novice and say - it's simply a washer change, found behind that blue plastic nut in the fill valve. The banging is the valve not sealing properly when closing against the water pressure, creating water hammer (shock waves) that travel back along the pipes, that are usually unclipped/loose.

Either washer or renew the fill valve to a nice shiny new Fluidmaster.

Hey Madrab, thanks for the reply. I am indeed a genuine novice - the air pressure thing was something I found via Google and figured couldn't do more damage! As you can imagine it didn't fix the problem :D

I will pick up a new washer and change that ASAP. If it doesn't work I'll change the fill valve entirely. Is this a job that a novice could figure out or would you recommend getting someone in to do it?

Don't know where on Google you were, but anyone telling you to balance air pressure to fix water hammer is pulling your plonker I'm afraid ;)

If you're handy with tools and your hands and follow the rules, it's an easy replacement.

Sponsored Links
My pleasure, come back if you need any pointers if you need to change it out. Someone will be more than happy to step you through it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back