'Thump' when turning off taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever I turn off taps (hot or cold), a single thump on the plumbing can be heard. It sounds just like a bang on the pipework.

This occurs both upstairs and down at sinks, bath, shower, etc.

It is also noticeable when the toilet cistern has filled & when the washing machine is running.

The problem seems to have developed in recent months. A new bathroom was fitted about a year ago but I'm sure the problem developed quite a while after the installation.

The only way to stop the 'thump' from occuring is to turn off the taps more slowly.

My water pressure is good but I don't think it's any different to how it's always been. I have a combi boiler.

Any suggestions for a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Usually caused by loose unclipped mains pipework. Often in inaccessable places.

It can sometimes be reduced by partially closing stopcock.

The eventual cure is often effected by fitting a shock arrestor. Costs about £16 and fitted at a suitable position on the mains supply pipe.

Its often best at the furthest point from the stopcock but sometimes has to be tried at several points to see where its best.

Tony

Dont want to sound deliberatley to disagree because I dont, but on one occasion I had a property where they had a 'thump' like you describe and I actually cured it when I turned the stop cock to fully open :!: Still do not know why to this day :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
We had a new bathroom installed last year. Shortly afterwards we experienced the same problem (together with thumping when our neighours used their water - we have since found out we are on a shared water supply pipe). The problem was severe. On checking we found the stop tap was hardly open, so opened it up totally. This helped thumping, but the pressure was too much and rattling was caused in the taps every time cold water was used. We have now turned down the pressure a little and, although, thumping sounds are there, they are greatly reduced and our neighbours water use no long wakes us at 4am in the morning. What I'm trying to say is play about with the stop tap every few days until you find something you can live with. Good luck!

its only the flow that reduces when valve is partiallly closed .Pressure remains constant throughout .if you feel the need to reduce pressure fit a PRV available at all good plumbers merchants

Better off leaving the stop tap full bore and fitting a Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) just after stop tap as this is designed to do a specific job. They are cheap enough and can be fitted DIY, you can even fit a gauge for extra fun!
If the problem has "developed", then too much pressure should be your problem. Set to 3 bar.

ElectricIan said:
Whenever I turn off taps (hot or cold), a single thump on the plumbing can be heard. It sounds just like a bang on the pipework.
Any suggestions for a solution would be greatly appreciated.

We had the same trouble & found that carpeting the upper bedrooms & placing large woollen sock on Grandad`s wooden leg seemed to do the trick.

:LOL: ....ther`es a whole tv. team on Living TV paid to listen for thumps in the night ...........Most Haunted ,Tuesdays@ 9 pm with Yvette Fielding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back