plumbing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a plumber in to do some work in our bathroom and I think that I have been ripped off.
I had removed the shower tray/doors/electric shower unit, the sink and pedestal, the cistern and the bathroom radiator. All these pipes where capped off with stop ends.

The work the plumber had to carry out was as follows:
Disconnect bath pipes and remove bath.
Unscrew toilet pan from floor and remove.
Lift floor to relocate new pipes for sink, bath and towel rail. The pipes for these where roughly in the same place only a foot or so moved to the right. all drainage remained the same only with the pipes being extended.
For the towel rail the existing pipes to the radiator were capped off and the bedroom radiator connect to the towel rail.
the new toilet was fitted in the same place.
the vanity unit/ sink was installed. the bath was installed and a quadrant shower was installed.
For the shower the electric shower unit was moved to the adjacement wall and so the cold feed in had to be tracked 1 foot into the wall.

The cost of this work for a plumber and his mate came in at a wopping £940.

Can anyone tell me if this is a bit over the top - after all he pretty much walked into a shell of a bathroom only having to remove the bath and the pan.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Did you not ask the price prior to work commencing.?
I presume you did get other quotes too. :rolleyes:
How long did the job take, I assume each operative would be on a day rate which you can work out.

I supplied the new suite, the bath was in the identical place only the taps where in the middle rather than at the end as before.
The toilet went in the exact same spot as did the shower tray.
The sink rather than on a pedestal as before was on a unit and was on the same wall only a foot further along so the pipes just had to be extended.

I did not ask for a price up front as I am too trusting but at the time the place where I bought the suite said that it shouldn't cost much more than £500 to install.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert Paddy1, but working on the cost of work I've recently had done, your cost does sound a bit pricy. Was there some re-tiling or re-plastering involved too?

As someone on this board is bound to point out though, it is difficult to give a reliable estimate without seeing the job and any possible complications.

I did all the tiling and plastering.
The bathroom was a shell when he walked into it and the only thing still plumbed in was the bath, and the pan was still screwed to the floor but not plumbed.
all waste pipes where exposed and all pipes were capped off with stop ends.
the most major bit of pipe work which he had to cut and cap off the original pipes running to the bathroom rad from the imersion as this rad was the heat release. Then connect the bedroom rad on the adjoiing wall through to the bathroom rad pipes using pvc connectors so as the towel rail in the bathroom was now linked to the rest of the heating.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back