plumbing for a new bathroom - not as easy as it sounds!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I'm of the opinion that this is by far the best place to offer my problem for comments - i have been helped lots of times by the advice given so i thought i'd give it a go!

I am looking at completing a second house renovation project after my first went well and am looking for some advice regarding the plumbing for my new en-suite bathroom.

Basically, this is no ordinary bathroom - its going to be of wetroom construction for a walk in shower area and a large whirlpool bath. The problem i am having working out is how to supply enough hot water for the showers and the bath.... let me explain!

The shower area will have 2 thermostatic showers installed, side by side to allow 2 to shower at once, the ones i am considering have 8" heads and 6 wall mounted body jets each. The showers need to be pumped to make it worth while and this is what i am thinking...

It doesn't matter if i have a combi or not as they obviously cant supply pumped showers however, it would be handy to have the instantaneous hot water to supply the kitchen sink, basins, washing machine etc. i've been looking at the superduty range of cylinders from albion and it appears that a combination of a combi boiler and one of these cylinders would work well. There is one thing that concerns me though - i have thought about using one shower pump to supply both showers but im not sure that this would provide the power i would like so have thought about using 2 pumps, one for each. The cylinder will have an S-flange fitted as recommended but im concerned that if im running 2 pumps simultaneously then starvation might occur at the pump inlet due to not enough water being available from the one flange. I dont want to completely overkill the project but the only solution i can think of is to have 2 smaller albion superduty cylinders, one for each shower and pump plumbed in a W-Plan design to a combi. The bath, when required could then be filled using the water from each cylinder (the bath is a 290L big one) so it wouldnt take an age to fill. The bath and showers obviously wont be used at the same time!

I know this plan requires lots of 22mm pipe work and certainly one 50 gallon tank in the loft but what do people think?

Am i crazy wanting this much or have i gone completely overboard? - i really want to complete the project as planned and would appreciate any comments.

Looking forward to some interesting replies!.....

Sponsored Links
i have some houses i rent out. i'm going to do them up shortly to sell. (wife dragging me up to yorkshire)
i think u are making the classic mistake of going overboard,,,too much outlay...not to everyones taste etc etc....
put in a simple bathroom suite and seperate shower cubicle if u have room.
depending on how many rooms consider a combi boiler. (most folk wont know the advantages of combi v conventional.
combi is cheaper and easier to install.
keep it simple. keep more money in ur pocket !!!

sorry, i should have said... this isn't to sell on - its for keeps for at least a few years. Thats why i don't mind spending the cash on something extra special.

I appreciate your comments though.

Sponsored Links
Large Storage tank-unvented cylinder-Stuart Turner Monsoon 3bar pump- suitable for whole house.

Pump the cold into an un-vented cylinder and use the supplied valve for a balanced cold.

22mm probably needs to be 28mm at least to the bathroom.

doitall the time :LOL:

Yes but check the flow is adequate for yer 2 showers - find out what your shower heads need so they don't look and feel pathetic. See the Stuart-Turner site. Then do the sums.
You might find you need 4 x 50 gall cold and 2 x 300 litre unvented HW..

It would be cheaper to store the HW at "gravity" pressure and pump from the cylinders. More snags about sucking air though.

This is an interesting post. Since Jhawxwell is obviously an intelligent guy, how come his brains don't tell him that it will be just as easy to get his rocks off under one shower without going to all that trouble and expense?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back