plumbing in new toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am installing a new wc, the plan is to dig down and expose the soil pipe that is running below the planned site. the pipe i am going to attach to only has one other toilet attached, about five feet away. i was just going to attach an equal tee connection, and then plumb straight in, is there any complications with not adding a sub stack? i am a keen diy'er and am a little daunted by this job. is it quite easy? anything i need to think about? :D

Sponsored Links
You need to consider the Building Regulations !

A qualified plumber who is a member of a scheme can do the work and self certify and notify the Building Control afterwards.

A DIYer has to submit drawings and have them approved and the work inspected. They are very fussy about soil drains.

Tony

oh, didnt consider that! do they frequently turn down this type of request, or is that a bit of a big question?

Sponsored Links
No, they cannot turn it down as long as the drawings meet the requirements of the regulations.

They can be a little fussy though.

An air admittance valve might be required in your case as an alternative to a new soil stack.

I am not an expert but I think that if there is a stack further up the drain then an admittance valve will be acceptable.

Tony

Agile said:
A qualified plumber who is a member of a scheme can do the work and self certify and notify the Building Control afterwards.
The scheme member doesn't have to be a plumber. Most plumbers don't do underground drainage work.

A DIYer has to submit drawings and have them approved and the work inspected.
This isn't correct - notice can be given and work started by a DIYer, with staged inspections by the BCO, and the drawing doesn't have to be detailed.

However, rather rely on the sometimes dubious advice given here, why not contact your LABC and ask them to explain the procedure. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back