Plumbing ... is this a DIY job or should I get a plumber in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post and a shiny new forum :) ...

The outlet from our bathtub connects to a large drain pipe that in turn connects to our soil pipe.

Now there is a type of collar thing that goes around the larger pipe and clamps together with a bolt. One of ends of where the bolt goes has cracked and the join is no longer sealing properly...

damaged_outlet.jpg

Anybody know how I remove this to replace it. I'm a decent enough DIYer but have never tackled any plumbing jobs of any kind.

Would I be better off getting a plumber in?

TIA

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
you can get a strap on boss for cast iron at drainige centre

dont try a plastic one they dont fit

Thanks for the reply ...

the current strap-on-boss is plastic. I'm not sure is the larger drain pipe is plastic or not will check tonight but the strap on boss definitely is...

It may look like cast iron fromt he white marks on the pipe - this is soap scumm from the slow leak that has been there for a week odd

My main query is how do I remove the current one? I can lift the pieces that go around the larger drain pipe bu there is no movement for me to get the boss off. Do I need to remove the pipe that connects to the outlet in the wall?

There is a rubber looking gasket that appears to provide the seal.

if you can get the smaller pipe to swing over replacing the boss isn't difficult

looks like solvent weld in the pic tho so it might be tight

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
if you can get the smaller pipe to swing over replacing the boss isn't difficult

looks like solvent weld in the pic tho so it might be tight

Thanks again ...

How do I deal with the solvent weld? I think it is solvent as well as I don't see any other sealing method in there at all.
As you say - If I can swivel the pipe I'm sure replacing the boss won't be a major problem

There's a message staring at you on the original boss....it's leaking! The reason the strap's broken is it might have been over-tightened to make it seal. Bad idea!

Do NOT use standard solvent weld to secure the new boss. There's a different type of cement (Gap Filler - comes in a tube) specifically designed for joints like this with uncertain clearances. Standard solvent weld is only for pipe / fitting joints with a 'designed' clearance.

kevplumb said:
if it's solvent weld into the boss you will have to cut the pipe and put a straight joint it

you wont get the joint apart :cry:

I think you've misunderstood me - then again, I may have misunderstood you! :)

The join going in to the boss seems to be a large rubber gasket of some kind.

There is a join in the pipe that goes into the wall which I think is a solvent weld join. I thought I would have to break that join to allow some movement to get the pipe out of the boss...

Thanks for your input - I may jaust have to get a plumber in :(

I've found this ...

Soil Pipe Boss SP319B (code S343B) - 8th product down on this page ...

http://www.fascias.com/en-gb/dept_29.html

I believe that is the exact replacement part that I need...

and if that's all they cost then there's no way I'm going to get a plumber in to replace that ...

Having said that, I'll probably need one to come and repair the damage I cause in attempting to sort this myself :p

Might be a idea to renew the T-piece as well if the old one is glued. Can't see how you can get it in otherwise.

Just been telphonicly quoted circa £180 to replace the boss and outlet pipe ... (2 hours labour + materials)

Now if that isn't robbery in broad daylight then I don't know what is! Absolutely ridiculous :eek:

Nice pic.

If that boss will not pull away from the 110mm, horizontal soil pipe (so it and the boss rubber slide up the short length of vertical waste pipe) then the boss must be welded to the soil pipe, and this seal must be leaking.

If this is the case it might be easiest to cut out a section of the 110mm soil pipe which includes the boss and insert a new piece or indeed a whole new section. You will of course need a new boss, a hole saw for your drill and the correct cemment.

Good luck and keep us posted.

brumylad said:
Nice pic.

If that boss will not pull away from the 110mm, horizontal soil pipe (so it and the boss rubber slide up the short length of vertical waste pipe) then the boss must be welded to the soil pipe, and this seal must be leaking.

If this is the case it might be easiest to cut out a section of the 110mm soil pipe which includes the boss and insert a new piece or indeed a whole new section. You will of course need a new boss, a hole saw for your drill and the correct cemment.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the advice ...

Any more info on what the correct cement would be? Also, what diametre hole saw would I use if I were to attempt to replace the section?

The cement stuff is made by Polypipe, and the hole size is 63mm (2 1/2"). But if the soil pipe is Iron you won't get a seal - I've never seen one NOT leaking despite loads of silicone etc. Might be best to remove the "stop" in the fitting so the small pipe can protrude into the biggun a bit.

ChrisR said:
The cement stuff is made by Polypipe, and the hole size is 63mm (2 1/2"). But if the soil pipe is Iron you won't get a seal - I've never seen one NOT leaking despite loads of silicone etc. Might be best to remove the "stop" in the fitting so the small pipe can protrude into the biggun a bit.

Thanks for your input ...

I'll have a look for the polypipe cement.

The main verticle soil pipe on the property is made of iron (the one that is open at the top and goes straight down the wall and into the ground.

The one in the pic is a horizontal pipe and is made of plastic (which I know is a laymans term but then I am a complete layman when it comes to drains! [is it actually PVC]?)

Having given it some thought I think I am going to attempt a replacement of the boss.

This means I will probably have to remove the T-piece but this looks either solvent welded or glued to the outlet from the wall. How do I remove that? Do I cut it? Chip away at it?

This could prove interesting...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back