Please, please help me plumb in my new toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm being driven mad trying to plumb in our new toilet and hope that somebody can offer advice. Our bathroom is currently empty apart from the old pink toilet pan and we don't want to take out the pan until we can plumb in the new one but we can't finish tiling the floor until the old pan is out. It's catch 22 :cry:

We live in a block of flats on the third floor. In the corner of our bathroom runs a galvanised metal soil stack which is shared with the other flats above and below us. The soil stack has three connections - one for a basin, one for a bath and one for a toilet.

Currently we have a pink toilet connected with a ceramic pink 90 degree connector. This is connected to a plastic pipe which fits into another short plastic pipe, this then fits into another short plastic pipe (all the plastic pipe is painted pink) and finally the last pipe goes into the soil stack via the connection. I can see that the connection on the soil stack is slightly angled presumably for drop.

Our new toilet is a Twyford Pure Energy back to wall. It's going to be against a false wall containing the cistern and pipework.

The Twyford Pure Energy BTW pan has a spigot that is 115mm from the back of the actual pan. There's a technical drawing available here. This is our first problem. Twyfords provide the toilet with a plastic extension pipe (called 'Specific Plastic Pipe for Horizontal outlet') that connects to the spigot. I naively thought that we could use this to connect to the pipework but several plumbers' merchants and the technical advice helpline at Multikwik tell me that you can only connect a pan connector direct to the spigot on the pan. This means that we are starting out 115mm less than the back of the pan.

Our next problem is that we are moving the toilet away from the soil pipe and the new distance from the centre of the spigot to the soil pipe is 1200mm. Ideally we'd like to get rid of as much of the multiple connectors as possible but recognise that the soil pipe connection and the back of the toilet are not going to line up directly.

The multikwik technical helpline are lovely and they suggested that we buy a Long Straight WC Connector (MKS4) and connect this direct to the spigot. We then use a Multilink (MKL1) to connect the Long Straight WC Connector to a 90 degree bend (MKB2190) and then use another Multilink to connect to a flexible connector which will then give the flexibility to move horizontally to connect to a piece of standard pipe which will then connect to the soil stack.

This all sounds fantastic but very complicated and as it's going to be boxed in we want to make sure that it's all going to be secure. In addition nobody holds the Multilink as stock and the soonest we can get one is Friday which loses us several days.

The fake wall to house the cistern is not yet built but the concealed cistern is a Grohe Eau 2 and the minimum depth for the wall appears to be 420mm including plasterboard and tiling (this is the minimum to the connection of the flowpipe which is almost at the back of the pan). The tiles are 9mm, there is then adhesive (nominally 6mm) and plasterboard 12.5mm thick so this reduces the space for the waste to 280mm.

We don't want to connect a flexible connector direct to the pan spigot as we want to first fix and have a pipe sticking out to connect to (this will allow us to have the loo available at night and then disconnect during the day whilst the wall is being plasterboarded and tiled). I'm not happy doing this with a flexible connector.

Our final problem is what sort of pipe to buy to connect to the soil stack connector. Currently the pipe goes into the metal connection. However, the ones I've found in the Polypipe catalogue seem to have either a plain end which is the same size as the connection or a socket which appears to go on the outside of the connection. Multikwik tell me that their finned fittings would go into the soil pipe connector but their solution involves buying a length of pipe to go between the soil stack connection and the end of the flexible connector.

Can anybody help me with a simple elegant solution to this problem? Any help gratefully received. I've tried to cover everything but I've missed anything, please ask :)

Sponsored Links
We don't want to connect a flexible connector direct to the pan spigot as we want to first fix and have a pipe sticking out to connect to

Multikwik tell me that their finned fittings would go into the soil pipe connector but their solution involves buying a length of pipe to go between the soil stack connection and the end of the flexible connector.

Do you want a solid pipe - or not? I really can't make it out from what you've said!

:confused:

Thanks for reading :)

We don't want to connect a flexible connector direct to the pan spigot as we want to first fix and have a pipe sticking out to connect to.
This is the pipe that will connect directly to the toilet spigot. We want to have a solid pipe sticking out of the wall to push the toilet onto. As a flexible connector would also be going around the bend I think solid pipe would be better.

Multikwik tell me that their finned fittings would go into the soil pipe connector but their solution involves buying a length of pipe to go between the soil stack connection and the end of the flexible connector.

This is at the other end of the run connecting into the soil stack. In between we've got approximately 1200mm of pipework to cover and the flexible connector does a maximum of 540mm. However, the run can't be solid all the way along as it needs to move horizontally to connect up the soil stack which connects almost touching the wall and the toilet which will be at least 420mm forward of the wall.

I know we could use an offset but as we don't know what this would be yet, flexible for this part of the run seems sensible.

Hope that's clearer!

A picture is worth a thousand words, so if you could post about 4 or 5 that would be about right. ;)

Sponsored Links
This is at the other end of the run connecting into the soil stack. In between we've got approximately 1200mm of pipework to cover and the flexible connector does a maximum of 540mm. However, the run can't be solid all the way along as it needs to move horizontally to connect up the soil stack which connects almost touching the wall and the toilet which will be at least 420mm forward of the wall.

OK, I think I know what you mean, I'll describe what I think may be a solution, and if I've got it muddled, you can put me right :)

You previously had a toilet installed and the soil pipe made a turn to one side, along the wall and into the stack.

Now you have a new toilet to install and it will be further from the stack, and also further from the wall.

I would get some PVC soil pipe and a 90 degree bend. Then assemble it in an 'L' shape (or a 'J' from the other way up!) with one leg around 1200mm long and the other around 420mm, plus any extra projection you need to reach the toilet.

The long leg goes into the stack with a finned adaptor, and is fixed solidly to the original wall until somewhere just behind the new loo. Then it makes a turn and the short leg goes all the way from the original wall, through the new false wall, and ends somewhere just short of the spigot on the new toilet. The final connection being made with a pan connector.

Or, 'as the sewage sees it' from the toilet, through the false wall, a turn to one side just before hitting the original wall, and along the original wall into the stack.

It's important that there's enough of a fall on the pipe that nothing... erm... 'backs up'.

Hope that helps :confused: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back