Plumbing Job.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone in Wirral/Liverpool area looking to take on, or even if they are needing a labourer.

I am 19 years old. I have 2 years experience working with a plumber and being sent out on jobs to be completed by myself.

I attend college on Tuesdays 9-5 (which will be the only day I am not available). I am on my 3rd year of the Technical Certificate working towards City & Guilds Level 3.

I know a lot about the work involved, how to do it, materials used etc, and my work is to high standards.

My customer relation skills are really good, I have no problem sparking up a friendly chat with a customer, I also know how to use my manners.

Punctuality is my middle name, I will always be on time, I get out of bed even if I am ill, I am not someone to let you down.

As some of you may have noticed my hobby is coming on the DIYnot Plumbing Forum and posting, and when I'm not on here, I am reading through my plumbing NVQ 3 JTL book :) if that doesn't show my great interest for plumbing, then I don't know what does.

I have my own van and most of the tools required as a plumber, so travel is no problem for me.

This post also goes to anyone who knows of any companies looking to take on if they are not themselves. Please let me know as it would be greatly appreciated.

If you require references I can give you previous employers and my college tutor.

Thanks,

John.

Sponsored Links
Thanks

Guess this is a last resort after applying to most local companies in the yellow pages, must have been about 30 companies and not even had a reply telling me they have nothing.

Fair play to you John, with an attitude like that you will be an asset to any firm.

I wish you luck with your search for work.

Why not put an ad in the local paper/newsagents get yourself some public liability insurance and try to pick up some local work yourself. Just a thought.

Sponsored Links
All the best John. breath of fresh air when someone like you who has real passion for the trade unlike those other teenage louts who cant be half arsed about anything even when they get paid to go to college. Good on you son. Hope you find what you are looking for, with an attitude like that it wont be long before someone has the privilege of hiring you.

Good luck John, have you tried some of the local housing authority contractors? Crudens cover Lht, brammalls used to cover Speke not sure if they still do and Connaught cover sefton. Not great work but its work.

fair play to you john, when im out of work the first resource i exploit is the yellow pages. you said you have applied to 30 firms, id like to give you a different approach. i go to yell.com and search for painters in the borough im in and get 85 numbers. id phone every one of them and say who i am and what i can do. if they dont have a vacancy i can say, youve got my number, if the work picks up you can give me a ring. then i expand the search to my city then cities i can commute to. it doesnt take that long most calls will be very short, 'no, i have no work on' but it does pay off. the current job im in i had to phone over 200 people but now ive got work for the next 4weeks. you can advertise your business for free on yell.com but its costs a bit in the yellow pages so its a much bigger database. checking gumtree.com daily wouldnt hurt either

EDIT: you could copy and paest the post you have listed here onto gumtree as well, ive got 2 jobs of that site.

Thanks for all your kind words and advice, I had 30 companies from wirral (my local area) next approach as you say Pete is to expand my search, which will be Liverpool/Chester, bit of travel can't hurt.

Why not put an ad in the local paper/newsagents get yourself some public liability insurance and try to pick up some local work yourself. Just a thought.

That was the idea initially, I got a job in a factory working 5pm - 1am and was going to work in the day plumbing until I had enough work to quit the factory, but I'm earning enough just to get by with paying keep and keeping my van running, but everytime I save a little to get insurance or put an ad out, something goes wrong.

Last few weeks ago had to get a new passenger window in my van because that got smashed, then I had my mot which cost a couple of hundred with repairs, last week I bumped into someone in the car park when was going to get my van signed, who I'm settling out of insurance with him and owe him £450.

The start of this year seems to be a drag, was setting up with a mate who isnt showing any interest (after I designed and paid for business cards with his name and number on too) so just ordered another 500 with just my name number address on it.

I get the odd job here and there from family and friends but I think it would be great for me to have a regular job, with a company who has work on everyday because that would be even more experience everyday so I have lots under my belt for when I start on my own.

If thats the way it goes though, were I start off on my own paying a labourer when needed, that would be great also. My old boss said he will come and help me anytime if I am stuck with anything and he is available so I'm lucky there.

I will check out that gumtree.com and see whats about, never knew about that website :)

Thanks

You can pay public liability monthly if you need to cut down on initial start up costs. You should be paying about £300 per year, £6 per week.

Take on work that only requires one person in the first instance.

Once you have had a few jobs word of mouth will help you get more.

You already have, the van, the tools, the skill, the right attitude.

Have a go mate, good luck.

Deep down I think that is what I want to do, just a bit nervous of the whole concept of running a business. I know there isn't much to it but still gets the ald heart pumping a bit.

I've done loads of work in peoples houses on my own no prob though so it's no different to that, besides more money :D

Think paying public liability monthly will be the best option right now, I will have to look into it soon as possible, not saying I'm not a good plumber, but knowing that if you bring a ceiling down and you are covered is nice.

you generally pay the forst £500 excess so ceiling down is pull in your favours from plasteres you meet on jobs.

For plumbing blow torch use sends premiums sky high.

You Can't afford the labourer for the extra insurance cost and the fact when you are quiet you are paying for two blokes to drive around in the the odd half day. When due to rtecession your productivity is spasmodic the cost of carrying labourer has to be first to go.

Learn to work alone. A lot of the time the inexperienced assistant contriburtes nothing but worse still slows your productivity down.

Advertising costs can fast spiral avoid at all cost..

Don't buy stock just buy what you need for a job and ditch what's left over or your house will look like mine.

Have you got your ACS yet John ? if so apollo heating do the gas servicing and maintenance for Sefton housing and wirral council as do PH Jones. I have heard good things about Rothwells who are based in Wigan.

Unfortunately not, I'm still on my third year in college for 6129 level 3.

Already sent a CV to PH Jones, I will send one to Apollo and Rothwells see if there is anything they can do for me, cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Back