Plumbing mishap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having had enough of creaking flooring in upstairs bedrooms I decided as the first bedroom was due to be re decorated and have new carpet that I should fix the chipboard flooring using Spax screws leaving the existing nails in place. This seems to have done the trick and stopped the squeaking but:

In spite of using one of these
tracker.jpg

This happened (apparent only today). I had managed to screw the pipe securely to the joist :evil: The black tape is my temporary repair. It was the only thing I could find at Homebase at just after 5pm
Pipes.jpg

This could have layed undiscovered for ages - the leak actually ran between wall cavity

At the end of the day this accident was due to my carelessness in not checking more thoroughly, however isn't cutting a notch to run pipes and cables bad practice - surely it weakens the joist and runs the risk of pipe being punctured

I am sure that I used the "Tracker" over all intended screw areas. It should have identified the pipes particularly as they actually lie slightly above the joists (the chipboard floor must have pushed them down.

I think I should replace the tracker with something a little better to identify wiring and pipework as I am intending to do the whole upstairs area. Anyone have any suggestions (without breaking the bank)?

Cheers :D
Tony

Sponsored Links
He He ... For what it is worth, I serviced a new customers boiler and found a leak caused by a screw in to the gas pipe, from the discolouration around the hole it had been there some time but the screw had plugged the bulk of the leak... fortunately they had only just bought the house and so the floor boards were easily accessible

There are certain measurements for cutting joists, as long as you keep within these there is no problem. As far as using that devise for tracing cables and pipes, you now no they actually do not work. I wasted £30.00 quid on one. I now check underneath everything if i am not sure i leave it.

however isn't cutting a notch to run pipes and cables bad practice - surely it weakens the joist and runs the risk of pipe being punctured
Tony

not if you follow the guide lines on notching/drilling joists.

how would you suggest getting pipes across to different rooms ?
round door frames and skirting maybe.
confused-8.gif

Sponsored Links
There are certain measurements for cutting joists, as long as you keep within these there is no problem. As far as using that devise for tracing cables and pipes, you now no they actually do not work. I wasted £30.00 quid on one. I now check underneath everything if i am not sure i leave it.
Found out the hard way that mine not up to the job. Difficult to check underneath interlocking chipboard flooring - I followed the lines of existing nails and used my now known to be useless device to "make sure" :)

however isn't cutting a notch to run pipes and cables bad practice - surely it weakens the joist and runs the risk of pipe being punctured

Tony

not if you follow the guide lines on notching/drilling joists.

how would you suggest getting pipes across to different rooms ?
round door frames and skirting maybe.

I assume that the notches in my joists are probably ok then and comply with the guide lines?

If this is the case then wouldn't it be safer for the pipes to be run through a hole in the joist at a certain depth or failing that pipes in notches have a steel cover plate for protection or failing that floors marked to show pipe runs and depths?

Perhaps I have been watching to much Holmes on Holmes "existing code just not good enough" :)

as you say yes they can fit plates over them and they are available.
or mark the floorboards.

as for going through the joist have you ever tried getting a 3m length of pipe through joists 18" apart. it don't work.

it comes down to lazyness some many people are ok quoting what to do and how to do it, but do they ever do it like fuc.

sad-012.gif

Thanks seco services. Had not thought of trying to get piping through joists - bear in mind my house fairly new and all installed during build - which I would have thought made it easier.

Knowing a couple of sparks and plumbers I am well aware of the pressure applied by the builders to get the job finished within a very short time scale - and for a low fixed fee. In fact one of the sparks has just told a builder to shove his work where the sun don't shine and has taken on more lucrative industrial commercial work.

As I said in my original post the "accident" was all my own fault for not checking thoroughly enough in the first place and making some wrong assumptions.

Thanks to all for your time and replies

Cheers :D
Tony

If its your own house draw the layout of pipes and wiring on the top of boards when you get the opportunity ... Saves loads of grief further down the line.

Particularly useful with weyroc or other chipboard slabs.

MW

this proves these detectors only ever tell you that there is something there to be aware of, whether it be pipe, wood, cable or whatever. they do not prove there is nothing 'dangerous' to be aware of.

this proves these detectors only ever tell you that there is something there to be aware of, whether it be pipe,

wood, cable or whatever. they do not prove there is nothing 'dangerous' to be aware of.[/quote Correct. Mine bleeped wherever I tested on dry lined walls. I guess the panels must be foil backed. :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back