Plumbing setup help and pressure issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

First off I'll apologice for how much of a n00b i am when it comes to plumbing, but I'm hoping to gain a bit more of an understanding so please bear with me

So i'm having issues with my water pressure in the shower. I thought it was the hose/head but replaced these and it's still bad...comes out ok...just no force so you have to run round to get wet

Since i've always taken for granted that my water/heating has always just "worked" i'm extremely ignorant as to what I'm looking at. So here's a massively n00bish description of what I have

A dial by the door which hasnt been touched since i moved in 6 years ago (thermostat?)
A plastic tank of water in the loft
A hot water tank in the cupboard on the landing
A boiler of some sort in the kitchen next to the controls for the hot water/central heating (combi boiler?)

Not sure why we have a combi boiler AND a hot water tank since the reading I've been doing suggests the tank is superfulous

The hot water tank looks as though it has a pump coming out of it, currently set at 3 (the max?) so i'm guessing there's no way of increasing the pressure from that, but theres a valve (gate valve?) which is fully closed underneath it and I don't know why it's closed

So i guess I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what kind of system I have and maybe help me determine if it's possible to increase the pressure in my shower. I'll attach a couple of pictures of my tank in case that helps

Many thanks in advance (I warned you I was a n00b!)

Sponsored Links
That pump has nothing to do with the shower (directly).

Is the gate valve you're on about the one on the left? If so, it is the bypass and should be open a crack.

You say you have a combi boiler, but don't say what the model is. It is unlikely you have a combi boiler.

Hi Dan, thanks for getting back, yeah the closed one (or slightly open) is the one on the left. Here's the pictures of my shower and the kitchen boiler

IMG_20160818_135728.jpg
IMG_20160818_135809.jpg
IMG_20160818_135818.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your boiler couldn't be much further from a combi :LOL:.

Isolate the cold and hot supplies to the shower and remove the valve to check for blockages and give the supplies a blast through.

Your boiler couldn't be much further from a combi :LOL:.

Isolate the cold and hot supplies to the shower and remove the valve to check for blockages and give the supplies a blast through.

Hah sorry..my ignorance is probably insulting to people who know about this.

How do i isolate the shower supplies and remove the valve?

The two gate valves to the left of your cylinder.... One is pictured. The other is not.

You'll need a very thin leccy screwdriver, a Phillips driver and a torx set.

OK thanks. I'll give it a try later this evening!

The two gate valves to the left of your cylinder.... One is pictured. The other is not..

There is only one gate valve to the left of the cylinder, the one pictured attached to the long pipe...

Does the pipe attached to it go into the bottom of the cylinder? If so then there is another one somewhere that supplies the cold. In the loft, on the large cistern, you'll have another bunch of valves coming out of the bottom. They should do the same job. Turn them and see if that works. Beyond that I think you're in the realms of a professional.... Don't panic, we are not all bad.

Before you call in the professionals check that the loft cistern is full of water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back