ply over floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive got fairly uneven boards and need to put something down before carpeting. needs to be as low as possible as in roof and very low ceilings. tried to put 3.6mm ply screwed and some grip but seems to have "bubbles" that creak or tap. any ideas? more screws, try and get it up and someting else? ceers jon

Sponsored Links
3.6 mm plywood is way too thin to tackle a problem like this, you will have "flex".
8 or 12mm would be better.

consider taking up the old floorboards and putting down 18mm or 25mm ply instead

I agree, the best way would be to lift the floor and put in new flooring I would probably recommend green chipboard flooring as water resistant and cheap and will suffice. Years ago the answer was always hardboard and in some cases this turned out to be ok. If you decide to go down this route make sure the hardboard is nice and wet before it goes down!! (dont know if this works with ply!) Sounds mad but it will then shrink and you will have no "bubbling" in my opinion a real botch job but it may suffice. Alternatively could you not pour latex leveller down? this wont work if you have gaps in your floorboards but you could foam them. Again a botch - Best answer - replace the floor but at least you have some options now.

Sponsored Links
Chipboard is cheap and awful, you cannot glue anything to it - if that's needed - nor nail into it.
Plywood is best

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back