Ply wood ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be renovating a top floor flat in a terrace of 3 flats. It will be rented out.

The flat is average sized, but the ceiling has been boarded flat. I need to do a lot of new insulation works to dormas and flat ceilings as there is nothing there, not even soft insulation.

So i have decided to rip out the whole ceiling area and restore with insulation under the rafters and all boarded out. So creating a bigger volume area.

I have now thought should i use birch ply and shadow gaps instead of plaster board. I can plaster so the ply option is more expensive for me, but i think you would get a bigger wow factor from the ply.

B control will be checking the new insulation, so will they require me to apply a fire paint to the ply (clear) ? Any issues with this going forwards ?

Sponsored Links
So i need to apply this protection. Just checking what is involved going forward. I had heard you have to keep reapplying the retardant over some years.

Sponsored Links
Ok, so does anyone know about getting the sheets treated before fitting. Can you buy the ply pretreated ?

As a landlord you must know about the other legislation that applies to letting property that is safe? Surely.

None of which is buildings regulations. :rolleyes:

If i hadnt have mentioned LL you would have ignored me, but instead you attack me. I know all regs about being a LL. Adding a birch ply roof is a new thing to me so i do not know any regs regarding this. Hence why i am asking here and will be speaking to BC. I fully understand what i need to do, so panic over.

If i hadnt have mentioned LL you would have ignored me, but instead you attack me. I know all regs about being a LL. Adding a birch ply roof is a new thing to me so i do not know any regs regarding this. Hence why i am asking here and will be speaking to BC. I fully understand what i need to do, so panic over.[
Lining a ceiling with timber would be subject to B Regs as it is a material alteration under part b, though in reality in existing buildings, its usually carried out illegally without permission.
You are looking for a surface spread of flame classification C-s3, d2 or class 1 in old money so you may need to treat the timber, a quick google shows there appears to be some pre treated fire rated boards on the market, though I haven't looked in any detail.

Surely any BCO worth his p45 wil require verified certification by an accredited body to verify that the material was treated and installed in accordance with the accreditation, and won't just accept "Yeah I brushed it on mate" as proof of the fire rating and performace?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back