Plywood bathroom subfloor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...and help please! I've cut 12mm exterior ply ready to lay on my bathroom floor (area 10'x6') over very old and battered floorboards, which were only level in one corner. (At the partition wall they were 3/4" off true). I've used several tapered wooden strips, which I've screwed to the floorboards to pack beneath the ply, to level it. This seems to have worked except there is a squeak from most of the main central area (the largest piece of ply). The ply had to be cut into four main pieces. I haven't screwed down the ply yet as I've let it acclimatise. I've ended up with some small gaps between the ply sheets (maybe 1/2"x3-4" in places) and around the toilet and wash basin stands where I couldn't figure out how to template it and made the mistake of guessing the curves. I've got some PVA. I am thinking of laying vinyl tiles (self-stick). The house is Victorian and a lot of cables and water pipes seem to run flush with the underside of the floorboards, so I obviously don't want to puncture these.
1. How do I ensure the squeaking stops when I screw down the ply?
2. How do I fill these gaps in the ply sheets? (I've got plenty of ply offcuts).
3. Do I use the PVA with self-stick vinyl tiles?
4. What have I missed? I'm sure I must have ballsed this up somewhere along the way, as I'm completely new to this. So tell me if I've done it wrong before I screw down the floor.
Please don't tell me to take up the floorboards or mess around with the joists, as one look beneath was like staring into the abyss.

Sponsored Links
If you had a flat level floor then 12mm would be fine , but if you are leveling it then it far too thin to leave any area unsupported. You need at least 18mm.
Best way to level would have been to remove all the boards and pack the joists level [which would also allow you to check their condition] then fit a 25mm ply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back