Plywood flooring underneath internal block wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an external, two-storey double garage. The upper floor is accessed via an external door and is used for storage. It's not insulated and as a result gets a lot of condensation. This condensation has led to patches in the ply flooring to rot and the whole lot needs replacing. We are considering turning it into an office space so obviously lots of insulation needed amongst other things.

It appears that the previous owners considered converting this as there is a double-skinned wall, and some parts of the wall have internal apertures as if they wanted a window to go in. The odd thing is that the internal block wall is actually sitting on top of the plywood subfloor, which is then screwed into the joists. I have no idea if this makes sense or why, but my concern is that this could get damned expensive if we have to rip out the internal skin. I'd be loathed to put a stronger floor on top of this sub floor as it clearly all needs replacing anyway. And if parts have started to rot, does this mean the internal wall would become unstable over time?

Has anyone seen construction like this? What are my options?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back