plywood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Still looking for an answer to covering a bitumen floor!! My daughter needs to cover 50sq metres of bumpy old bitumen. So far --- floating laminates -not too keen on the look; floorboards on batens ---- a possibility though it will raise the floor level quite a bit; Solid flooring ----- too expensive!!! We have noticed that much of the T&G engineered wood is attached to ply. Does anyone know if it is possible just to buy the ply without the real wood surface? We thought this might be a much cheaper option and she could stain and varnish it herself to finish. Is this a viable alternative? Pat

Sponsored Links
i dont know where you would get tongue and groove boarding at minimum thickness. Try having a look for something called 'jumpax' Its basically a floating floor like a laminate but you then install what ever floor covering on top of it ( vinyl, kandean, carpet etc ) Still will be cheaper to put a laminate down tho. Also there are limits to how un-even the subfloor can be with out the need for putting down a smoothing compound.

Thankyou for great info, but the bumpiness is mainly due to some cracking and weight of furniture - - and would,I guess, need some form of leveller before,say, carpeting or lino. However, we've decided that a floating floor is the best option and I suppose what I'm really asking about is - can you get "click" plywood floor boards? It seems that lots of "real wood" flooring comes with a ply base - we just want the base without the expensive hardwood surface. Pat

Sponsored Links
yes you can but not cheap and will raise floor 22mm. Plus you cant float it. The boards are to wide. Have a look at the jumpax. Cheaper than the plywood and floating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back