Plywood for kitchen floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're getting a new kitchen - the house has traditional floorboards. We're going to lay vinyl on it, so will need to lay board on top of the floorboards to level it. Would plywood be the right material for this?

What thickness is recommened?

Sponsored Links
General practice is 6.mm. Ply.

Fixing [generally] Screws at 100.mm. in all directions in a grid pattern.

Watch the screw length, adjust the length to go through the ply and the flooring, BUT not much further at all than that.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Industry standard would be 4mm pre-wet hardboard for cushion floor sheet vinyl to prepare.

If the floorboards are bad, 6mm Ply with a microcoat or featheredge to screwheads and joints.

I went with hardwood 5.5mm plywood from Wickes. Do I need to wet it before laying it?

What is featheredge? Is that a pva glue solution to the joins and screwheads?

I'm also having trouble finding screws short enough - I would prefer 20mm, but seems the shortest is 25mm. Floorboards are 18mm thick.

Any advice on whether I should wet the plywood before laying it? It won't be right up to the skirting - only as far as to go under the front legs of the units. I will cut another strip for the rear legs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back