plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i need to cover my bathroom floor with plywood before tiling i will use 12mm but should i use structural or hardwood.Also is hardwood the same as external.Wickes have hardwood but don't sell external so i assume it is the same thing.

Sponsored Links
You want WBP, you don't want marine as is often quoted. It's overpriced and overspecced for tiling onto. You're looking at about £20 - £30 a sheet. Marine can cost double that.
Lay with the roughest side up for tiling onto.

So is hardwood the same as WBP?or is hardwood the same as marine.Bascially i can get 2200x1220mm 12mm sheet of hardwood from wickes for £22 whereas if i buy the WBP from B and Q it will cost £10 more per sheet.Wickes don't sell WBP

Apparently the classification WBP is being phased out, but is still used in the trade.
The Wickes stuff looks good to go. As belt n braces you should consider prepping all the edges with a couple of coats of varnish.

Sponsored Links
This is one thing that irritates me.

We sell ply - both hardwood & good one side. We keep getting tickets saying "WBP ply".

Whether it is correct or not i don't know, but we've been told that "WBP" is the glue & does not refer to one or the other. WBP on the ticket usually means good one side & not hardwood, although one time it ended up meaning hardwood.

From my experience of selling this stuff...

There's hardwood & there's good one side. Our shop department often call G1S "WBP".
Marine ply is different altogether & much dearer & certainly better as far as waterproofing goes. We sold these to a bloke who was using them in his boat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back