PME SYSTEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my annual boilder service last week which was done by britsh gas. Upon completion i was told that there was a failure on socket and see / earth fault. They said i would need to get an electrician. Now i organised this through britsh gas.

They have been this morning and left me with a Notification at risk. The explanation is that Earth loop reading is 2.30 k ohms. Main cut out labelled PME system but not earth cable coming out of cut out and no earthing terminal. They have advised me to get in contact with Central network.

I have spoken to them and they have asked for me to get in touch with britsh gas and the engineer who came out to get more info. They say there is notihng they can do, only otherthing to do would supply a new PME system at a cost of £151 then i need to contact an electrician to connect it.

Does this sound write? And who would have installed the unit in the first place? Any advice would be grately appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It is the way the question is asked.
Phone and ask what earthing system do I have. And often they have to send out an engineer to test. If it is PME he will repair it job done.
If it is TT then he will tell you and you will need earth rods.

But phone and say I have no earth the answer will be simply we are not required to provide one.

From each transformer it is up to the supply authority to decide the type of earthing to be supplied and all houses off that transformer should have same system. The supply authority are not suppose to mix and match although they do. So it is not up to you what earth is used but the supply authority hence why you have a right to ask them for the information as to how you are earthed.

If asked about what you have make out you don't know and the electrician has told you to phone and find out. Anything to make it so they send someone around as once there a PME will normally be provided.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your speedy repsones.

Do i contact central netowrks and ask this or British gas?

Central networks is probably best, as they're the ones responsible for it.

Unfortunately, given the cable feeding your cut-out comes from above, I suspect there's a fairly good chance that you're going to find out you have a TT (overhead) system (at which point you'll have to get an electrician in to fit an earth rod and possibly RCDs if you don't have any already etc), but worth giving them a ring to find out anyway, as it could still be TN-S/TN-C-S...

Central networks is probably best, as they're the ones responsible for it.

Unfortunately, given the cable feeding your cut-out comes from above, I suspect there's a fairly good chance that you're going to find out you have a TT (overhead) system (at which point you'll have to get an electrician in to fit an earth rod and possibly RCDs if you don't have any already etc), but worth giving them a ring to find out anyway, as it could still be TN-S/TN-C-S...

I don't think they put a PME SYSTEM label on it for fun ;)
My setup was exactly the same when I moved in a couple of years ago so I had a mate who works for EON come and put the earth terminal in for me and reseal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back