Garden room and PME

DNO guys did not take any readings, just looked at the service. The garden room co will be paying the electrician and yes I've paid them minus a few hundred quid.

Sponsored Links
I think it reasonable to retain that few hundred until the job is finished, which means a certificate for the electrics.

Could it be that the electrician measured a high Ze and the DNO bloke either just looked at the service and never took a loop reading, or did so with the bonding in place.

Just to give the flip side.

of course if the electrician explained his reasoning for wanting a PME terminal it would save everyone a lot of guessing!

Problem is he said I need a PME treminal way before he did any readings.

Problem is he said I need a PME treminal way before he did any readings.

In that case, I can't understand his reasoning.

Perhaps ask him for a written explanation of why he thinks the existing earthing is not suitable and then post it on here and we will advise further

Sponsored Links
SNE is probably what he said, I just misheard, same as TN-S from what I can see from a limited search.

SNE is probably what he said, I just misheard, same as TN-S from what I can see from a limited search.
That's correct. In both cases the 'S' means 'Separate' (separate neutral and earth).

In contrast TN-C means 'Combined neutral and earth' and, since that combined neutral and earth splits into separate neutral and earth after entering the premises, is gains an extra 'S' and becomes TN-C-S - usually refered to as 'PME'. PME stands for 'Protective Multiple Earthing' and, although it's not (electrically) an inevitable feature of a TN-C-S supply, a TN-C-S supply is not allowed in the UK unless it has PME, so 'PME' is commonly used to refer to this sort of supply.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back