Point and Render or wait and see

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I started a rather large job a month or so back, hacking off all the plaster from the inside of the house and pointing it, this was because the how was very damp. Its an early 1900s house built from brick and lime. Obviously like most places had been skimmed with gypsum on teh inside and then painted with non breathable paints. I am nearly there with teh inside work now, apart from some cement wash which is proving difficult to remove, anyone have any ideas on how to remove it!?

Anyway the current issue, yesterday i remeved a wall of teh front porch which was falling down as it wasnt tied in at all!
My plan was to rebuild it but while outside on a nice sunny day i thought id see how easy it woudl be to remove the exterior paint, so the building could properly breath. To my horror it has a cement render!
I have only take a very small piece off at the moment 2ft x 3ft - there is however no sign of a DPC- to be expected tbh But now im faced with what to do next!?
IF i leave it on the wall wont breath and damp will come back inside.
The alternative is to hack it all off point then render!? I have so far been using Lime Putty based product (for teh inside) which is great partially as it comes ready mixed so i can do an hour or so after work with no mixing etc.

If i do the outside i should use NHL 3.5? 5? or putty with pozzolans?

Also can i get away with just rendering up yo 1st floor level, there is a decorative thing there so would be easy.

As this is unexpected work i am very cost concious, and would be doing ALL the work myself.

any help etc would be great.

Sponsored Links
If you think using lime will get rid of your damp problems you'll be in for a shock.

Why do you think lime was dropped in the first place?

The reason lime was dumped is that it didn't work. If it did - we'd still use it. ;)

Sponsored Links
Yeah defo the village idiot.
Work done on old buildings often lime is specified. Lime breaths Cement does not. Lime is a great product and has its uses, Cement is also a great product.

Cornish Lime Co, are not too far away from me so can get all materials from them. pointing with putty will be easier so migth use that for pointing the 3.5 for the render.
Cheers for reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back