Pointing a painted wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We're having a few things done on the house soon - one of them being pointing the bricks. At some point in time though, someone has decided to paint the exterior brickwork. Red at the front, white at the back. Why would you do this??

It now looks an utter disgrace.

I've asked the builders who've come to quote me if it can be removed and I've had a few answers; 'we can do it, but it'll cost a couple of grand', acid wash might get it off, we can give it a go' and 'we can try but it probably won't work and it'll look worse - best to repaint it'.

Are any of them the right answer? Am I stuck with it and should I paint over it again, maybe in a more brick like colour?

Sponsored Links
Sorry - as well, all the builders are saying they will re point with a sand and cement mix - is that the right thing to use? I read lime and mortar somewhere? I have no idea! Thanks!

re point with a sand and cement mix - is that the right thing to use?
Probably, depends on what the rest of the house is built with, lime or cement mortar.

It's a pain to remove paint from brickwork, you can use a paint stripper product and it can look quite nice with some patchiness left. It's labour intensive so it won't be cheap.

I think we're going to opt to just re paint it, cheaper and will hopefully look better.

Still trying to choose a builder though - are there are issues with using someone who isn't VAT registered? Seems to run a company where he subcontracts to sole traders he regularly works with. Is this a common practice?

Sponsored Links
Not unless a quote that is at least 20% cheaper than a VAT registered turn is an issue.
Ha ha yeah that's certainly the upside to it. But I mean if things go wrong do we get as much protection as customers?
Apparently the work will be fully insured.
Should I seek proof of this or even references from previous customers?
We just don't want to get ripped off by a cowboy!

But I mean if things go wrong do we get as much protection as customers

Yes of course.

The VAT threshold is a government revenue thing, and not at all related to quality or competence. And don't let anyone try and convince you otherwise.

The VAT issue depends on how you make payments.

Do you pay him and then he pays his sub-contractors? or do you pay his sub-contractors direct?

In the first instance I suspect unless the builder only does very low value jobs it would be extremely difficult to stay under the VAT threshold and could be a bit dodgy. In the second case you need to check who is responsible for the work, is it the "builder" or is it the sub-contractor?

I'm all for saving the VAT but unless you employ the trades on a labour only basis direct it is very difficult to do legally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back