Pointing, doc and cavity wall rubbish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I'm in the middle of repointing my house, some remedial wall tie work and general preventative maintenance.

I've had a few loose bricks which are easily sorted, however one was a course up from the DPC. When I was dealing with this I noticed the cavity wall was filled with rubbish, (chunks of cement etc). Now I do not have any damp issues in the house but I know this should be clear. The house was built in the 40's. My 1st question is leave it as it is or clear it out?

If I have to clear it out do I take the very bottom bricks out? As this is around the DPC, if I take that course out should I replace the DPC on the outer course?

The other question is about pointing around the DPC. At the minute I have only raked out the perps leading to the DPC course. Should I just leave the pointing on and below that course or is there a specific way to do it?

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Sponsored Links
When i stripped out my downstairs, i could only see damp in areas. Once i checked those areas i looked in the cavity wall and the cavity was fully bridged with as you say, rubble and all sorts.

I removed it with a henry hoover. Removing a triangle of bricks every 1 meter inside the house. 8 rubble bags i filled.

Even though damp wasnt that obvious, the walls were soaking and the plasterboard had blown, the damp was behind the plasterboard!

Definitly extract it! Get it at least a brick below internal dpc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back