Pointing DPC course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pointing was missing on various parts of a 70s extension where they seemed to use a lot of sand in the mortar. Gaps that went quite far back. The dpc sheeting was sat roughly half way between the bricks above and below, sandwiched within the original mortar, so it would be awkward to get new mortar above and below it where the deep gaps were. In order to get the mortar into these gaps, I used one of those products that you apply with a caulking gun. It helped to fill the gaps as far as i can tell. Trouble is it looks a bit a crap. In order to finish this off, if I just apply sand and cement over the surface of what is now visible, will it matter that it is bridging the dpc? Will moisture then be able to bypass the dpc?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Mask up bricks with duck tape. Can really get at it without making a mess on brick face. Can easily thumbs in joint and smooth off. When setting pull tape although you can do that when dry.
A little bridging won't make any difference but ideally you don't want to do that.
Our 1960s house has bridged dpc in a few places where it was pointed up. No problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back