Pointing on a new patio....

Sponsored Links
differing slab thicknesses are irrelevent to laying on a dry mix, if the slabs are of the same profile then great screed it, if not no big deal. At least that way there solid based and not the old hollow boys, that are only good for one season.
I suppose theyll be alright spotted straight on the dirt aswell eh?

I dont get what you mean by the 2" gap thing, if you know your stuff that is the correct gap to leave between house and patio as long as its below damp.(i think you may have read my post wrong).

Im fine with the beg to differ, but none of the " you wont be laying slabs for me" rubbish if you dont mind.

Here you go drnail have one o mine!

paving1.jpg

differing slab thicknesses are irrelevent to laying on a dry mix, if the slabs are of the same profile then great screed it, if not no big deal. At least that way there solid based and not the old hollow boys, that are only good for one season.
I suppose theyll be alright spotted straight on the dirt aswell eh?

I dont get what you mean by the 2" gap thing, if you know your stuff that is the correct gap to leave between house and patio as long as its below damp.(i think you may have read my post wrong).

Im fine with the beg to differ, but none of the " you wont be laying slabs for me" rubbish if you dont mind.

i think we may have both made assumptions and jumped to conclusions, if i did i apologise.
I dont lay on dirt, i lay on a solid bed of mot every time, whackered down. I dont spot i lay on a solid wet mix. Personally i dont like dry mix as i belive that it leads to movement and the pointing breaking up.
each to their own

Sponsored Links
Sorry but I am with Thermo on this one - stone slabs are pretty light really, and do not last that well with a sand bed. Dry pointing will fail pretty well every time. I replace too many to think otherwise.

Still, as long as you make a living doing it your way then good for you.

Peace

good to hear everyones opinion on this one, and its good that we all do it our own way.
i can understand your point regarding the dry pointing, which as i did say if done properly is the best way. There are obviously many people that dont do it the right way so thats obviously where your comin from.
As for the sand bed comment then im sure you know that sand is the best load bearing surface known to man, so there is no arguement there.
thats why block pavers are laid the way they are, or do you wet the bed these aswell?

hands up,I still wet the bed now an then.
Have to have a placci sheet on top of matress, stop me from soilin it.
hehe!

good to hear everyones opinion on this one, and its good that we all do it our own way.
i can understand your point regarding the dry pointing, which as i did say if done properly is the best way. There are obviously many people that dont do it the right way so thats obviously where your comin from.
As for the sand bed comment then im sure you know that sand is the best load bearing surface known to man, so there is no arguement there.
thats why block pavers are laid the way they are, or do you wet the bed these aswell?

a sand bed is correct for block paving as its designed to be a flexible surface, most paving is not.

Still dont agree that dry pointing, later damped down is as good as a damp mix. Personally i think it leaves too much to chance and is to much at risk of failure, especially on hot dyas when it can dry out too quick.

got to say you like getting in your little digging assumptions when replying dont you.

just to keep u up to date folks brett and marshall now do an outside grout
for there sandstone products :cool: and a sealer which should be applied before groutin

lol, yeahh your right in sayin its an easy failure but then thats the same with anythin. like i dont lay bricks if its gonna rain.
so without you thinkin im diggin again, which i aint. what finish do you leave on the pointed slabs if you use wet mix, weatherstuck, smooth? i just dont understand how a wet point can look good on these slabs without looking independent to the finish.
what about if it rains or its a really dry day, surely the same applies to as a dry mix, surely a dry mix has more chance of survival as it relies on the elements to cure naturally anyway?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back