Pointing on Top of a New Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just had new concrete coping stones fitted to the top of a concrete block wall.

The builder did a great job !

The other day he pointed the gaps between the copings.

The next day it rained and I noticed that the pointing took longer to dry out by comparison.

I assume that the builder did not use a waterproofer in the mortar mix for the pointing on top of the wall ?

Is this the norm ?

Once the pointing has fully dried out would it be a good idea to seal it with Waterseal to keep the water out ? I am concerned that the rain will penetrate in the winter time, freeze and burst the pointing ?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Just had new concrete coping stones fitted to the top of a concrete block wall.

The builder did a great job !

The other day he pointed the gaps between the copings.

The next day it rained and I noticed that the pointing took longer to dry out by comparison.

I assume that the builder did not use a waterproofer in the mortar mix for the pointing on top of the wall ?

Is this the norm ?

Once the pointing has fully dried out would it be a good idea to seal it with Waterseal to keep the water out ? I am concerned that the rain will penetrate in the winter time, freeze and burst the pointing ?

Cheers.
never used weather proof in pointing , was the rest of the wall used with weather shi.. proof **** ...waste o space , if its mixed right it is right , if it looks good it is good never judge a book by its cover :)

Sponsored Links
FNT is correct :eek:

Normal pointing, but a strong mix to cope with the weathering

Whoever did the job was wrong to lay the copings and point afterwards. Pointing will never be as good, or last as long as proper jointing done at the time of laying

Daft it may seem, but the rain will only serve to help at this time of the year. A slow cure will only benefit the muck. Damp masonry will glue together better than very dry stuff.

Lay the product, let the muck squeeze out, trim off, then point when the bed and joint mortar has firmed up a bit.

As the guys have said, pointing the next day is a bit amateurish.

No need for waterproofer in masonry bedding mortars.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back