pointing slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,
ive now laid my patio and have to point the joints, a friend of mine has recently had a patio done and i noticed the other day that the jointing compo seems to be shrinking, thats the only way i can describe it, there is a very slight gap between the edge of the slabs and the compo, any reason why and how to avoid it
thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
Sounds like he had a dry mix of sand and cement brushed in, a quick way to fill the gap.

Whereas a true dry mix is not totally dry, it has enough water just to bind the sand and cement together but not enough to stain the paving stones. Then use a trowel to compact it into the gap and smooth off. It's a slow process mind you.

Sounds like he had a dry mix of sand and cement brushed in, a quick way to fill the gap.

Whereas a true dry mix is not totally dry, it has enough water just to bind the sand and cement together but not enough to stain the paving stones. Then use a trowel to compact it into the gap and smooth off. It's a slow process mind you.
cheers for the reply, i guess its a bit of trial and error as to how much water to add.

It's not really trial and error, you add a small amount of water, mix well, and if the sand / cement don't 'just' bind, add a little more water and mix again. Keeping doing this until the mix just binds.

Sponsored Links
Personally i use plastering sand. I find it gives a harder joint and stains less than building sand as it holds less water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back