pointing using mortar gun

hi,

i just read this post and thought it might be a help to share our experience with three different pointing guns we bought to restore our barn and outbuildings.

we had to undertake the job ourselves, as the finacial climate meant we couldn't afford to hire in a professional team, so we bought a cheap sealant style pointing gun from a well know online retailer. the results were disasterous! we just couldn't use it because it just squeezed the water out.

thinking that we had made the wrong choice we tried again choosing a more technical looking tool, based around the same trigger system. it looked great in the box, with lots of extras, and it worked okay for a short while, but then the mechanism started to slip, and then broke, so we returned it for a replacement. when the new one arrived it did exactly the same thing as the first one!

my husband and i were beginning to really dread the prospect of having to point the outside of our three buildings with just trowels. after taking a week to finish one wall, we decided one last time to try to find a tool to do the job. we found one online that was more like a big syringe than a gun. it was very simple - it didn't have a trigger. the other difference was that it had a long slot nose made of metal, rather than the narrow plastic point that the other two had.

this one worked! we think that the slot shaped nose made the difference. maybe there wasn't as much pressure inside to cause the water to squeeze out? anyway we really got on well with it and finished in ten days. we are really happy with the result - we got there in the end. our buildings look lovely.

if this is of any use, what we learned from our experience is that the trigger type tools are a waste of money, but this simple hand pump was worth every penny.

:D :D

teresa.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back