Pointing! What went wrong? Response to questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks for the replies.
In response to some questions raised.
I think the old mortar was cement but not entirely sure. (would that make a difference?)
The mortar was raked out to 25mm.
The plasticiser/waterproofer was mixed in water beforehand at proportions calculated from figures on the back of the container.
Since I did this over several days each batch (hand-mixed) yet the entire wall is affected.
Out of interest ( Or becoming neurotic went and checked a little I'd done some years before. Still as hard as rock!

ORIGINAL POST
Three years ago I did some pointing to a north facing above a conservatory. I recently had to get back up there to sort out a leak and then noticed that the pointing had failed. A thin layer had been pushed out at the front and then behind that it felt moist and quite soft. Ironically that’s why I replaced the old stuff. I seem to remember the mix was 4:1 sand to cement and I added some Wickes plasticiser/waterproofer. The only other thing that happened is it was late October and I did get caught by an early frost a couple of times. Was wondering if the cement was off. Any ideas as I don't want to repeat the error.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back