Pointing with a lime mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum

I am re-pointing the house with a sand, cement and lime mix (6:1:1) and an area I did 3 weeks crumbles very easily when I run a pointing trowel across it
Other areas done at different times previously with exactly the same ratios are rock hard
What could have caused this as I now need to scrape this area out and re-do and do not want this to happen again

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Possibly too dry when you did it that time?? I mean bricks and air rather than your mix.

Did you buy the cement for this patch at the same time as the other stuff?

Just guesses though.

It was quite hot that day so that may be why

Didn't buy the cement at the same time but it is the same brand, etc...
If it is too hot should I not do it at all or can I wet the surface after 30 mins or so to keep it moist?

Thanks

Wet the wall down well prior to pointing. Use a fairly moist mix and finish the job before its gone off too far. Are the joints really shallow? they should be 15mm min.

Sponsored Links
if you wet the face of the wall you will get more staining on the brick faces so best to either just wet the joints or wet the lot and wait for the face to dry out a bit .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back