Pointing with Lime Mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

So got a builder to point part of my house, using 3.5 NHL 1:2.5 mix.

My first experience of pointing a house/having house pointed.

Whilst the actual pointing looks fairly good so far (job ongoing), there are numerous mortar marks on the faces of the bricks....

Now, is this standard when re-pointing? (i can imagine your supposed to get all the mortar in the crack but messy job....:))

I guess some mortar will always get on brick faces, its more a question on how much.

When is the best time to remove these marks and what is the best method please? Builder has said they'll clean up at the end with wire brushes, I can see that doing more damage than good tbh.

House built 1900, bricks relatively soft i believe.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dunno why people fart around with lime. A weak standard mortar with a bit of sharp sand is just as good. Looks the part too. Please don't give me the silly diatribe of walls breathing. They don't.

Use brick cleaner fluid (acid) not a wire brush. Most of it can be scraped of. I wonder why your builder make a hash of the pointing. Its lovely stuff to work with, has he got proper striking irons, pointing trowels are for cowboys. The other thing is that hydraulic lime has to be used within an hour of mixing, is he mixing a big wet job giving him enough material for a whole days work?
Frank

Sponsored Links
Hmm, ill see how much material they are mixing.

So the use of lime mortar shouldnt take any longer than regular mortar?

I'd be concerned that proper brickies are staining the bricks in the first place, and secondly that they propose to use a wire brush.

The mortar goes in the joints only, not on the bricks and not on the floor!

Anyway, only use a stiff bristle brush - something like a deck scrubber. If bad staining, then a mild suitable acid wash. But that would concern me with these builders, as if they don't use acid properly you end up with a bigger mess and the acid eats the new pointing away.

I am concerned..

IMG-20150618-WA0000.jpeg

How about: using lime mortar shouldnt take any longer than regular mortar?

How about: using lime mortar shouldnt take any longer than regular mortar?
It takes longer to mix up NHL. 20 mins in the mixer, then left for 20 to fatten up, then remixed for a couple more.
Any reason why the Weatherstruck and cut style of pointing was used? eg matching existing or builders method. Normally a flush joint is used and finished with the churn brush next day.
That type of pointing is cut off along the bed joints with a Frenchman which drops bits of mortar down the wall. Lime can be a bit sticky so it can stain the bricks if you are not careful.

Any reason why the Weatherstruck and cut style of pointing was used? eg matching existing or builders method. Normally a flush joint is used and finished with the churn brush next day.
That type of pointing is cut off along the bed joints with a Frenchman which drops bits of mortar down the wall. Lime can be a bit sticky so it can stain the bricks if you are not careful.

To be fair to the builders, they did say they would be using that method. This side of the house is next to a newer wall which has that sort of pointing, so I didnt think much of it. The otherside of the house (walls separated by a conservatory) is flush. Shoolboy on my part I think.

To be fair, it does not look that bad. A brush and some weathering may well be enough to blend it in and take the shine off it.

Just had a chat with the builder. And yes to be fair to him, he has cleaned up some of the bricks and it does look much better.

Im not so bothered about the whiteness as that will age. More concerned about the finish of the joints partly as i am a bit ocd and also cos i know nothing about pointing.

Its good to get the opinion of someone who knows more than me about pointing. So thanks woody.

Appreciate the help all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back