Police called about a fence!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I often read about how neighbour disputes over fences are of no interest to the Police, however it would appear that although the UK is now on critical alert for terror attacks, our local Police can find the time to despatch two officers (actual Police, not PCSOs) to discuss just such a dispute.

Imagine minding your own business when the doorbell rings and the Police are standing there. Your kids are out and about in town, so straight away you are in panic mode.

Then they say they would like to talk to you 'about a fence?' WTF?

It transpires that my lazy-assed neighbour (he and his wife have never done a days work in their life, so find plenty of time to verbally abuse, threaten and shout obscenities at me whenever they feel like it) decided to call them because I politely (really, I was polite) asked him to remove some hanging baskets that he had put on MY brand new, expensive fence. All I got was foul mouthed abuse and a door in my face.

The Police weren't interested in the ins and outs, just to say to ignore them and not irritate them in any way. Huh? ME irritate THEM?! The neighbours are housing ass. tenants and the Police explained that we should go through the housing ass. in future. Which is odd, because as I explained to the Police THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING FOR THE LAST YEAR since the abuse began.

It has really upset my wife and I'm not sure where to go from here, but just can't believe that the Police even bothered to turn up for this.

Sponsored Links
I did mention that to the Police but they just wanted to tick the boxes and move on to the next serious crime. I understand that there was a cat up a tree nearby.

I did mention that to the Police but they just wanted to tick the boxes and move on to the next serious crime. I understand that there was a cat up a tree nearby.
Many people slag off the police, but when something serious happens they become their best friends and saviors. Funny that.

Sponsored Links
I don't slag off the Police, I have relations that are Police officers. They were in attendance to a serious bomb threat last night where my kids were, so it kind of puts a 'fence dispute' or even a cat up a tree in context don't you think?
If you think that a fence dispute is 'something serious' you need help.
My point is that it isn't a Police matter which was proved this morning when the local PCSOs came around to 'touch base' as they were supposed to have visited yesterday, but the full time Police were just around the corner so came instead.

So if the police patrol were just around the corner and had no response calls at present to deal with would you rather they crouched cat like for hours poised for a terror attack or did something productive to deal with a community policing issue?

Modern policing like any service has busy times and flat periods and trying to use the flat period when you are already in the area to deal with something sounds worthwhile to me.

Are you in the unfortunate position of being on a "mixed" estate, with H/A neighbours ?

So if the police patrol were just around the corner and had no response calls at present to deal with would you rather they crouched cat like for hours poised for a terror attack or did something productive to deal with a community policing issue?
Community policing issue? "Officer, my neighbour has just asked me to take my hanging baskets off of his fence but I don't want to...arrest him." I'd rather they sat doing nothing actually.

@Nige F
It used to be a small row of semi detached council houses built in the 1940s. Most have been bought by the long term renters, but a couple were transferred to H/A. Never had any issues with the previous tenants, but these lot are like semi-domesticated travellers. Part of the 'entitled' populus that are so needy.

@Nige F
It used to be a small row of semi detached council houses built in the 1940s. Most have been bought by the long term renters, but a couple were transferred to H/A. Never had any issues with the previous tenants, but these lot are like semi-domesticated travellers. Part of the 'entitled' populus that are so needy.
Our ancestors had the best idea, if they don't pull their weight and stick to the rules of the tribe, kick 'em out of the cave and let them sort it out for themselves with the sabre tooth's and wolves!:whistle:

Good idea! But all that was before the PC brigade took charge, whereby common sense gets kicked out and needy parasites win.

Community policing issue? "Officer, my neighbour has just asked me to take my hanging baskets off of his fence but I don't want to...arrest him." I'd rather they sat doing nothing actually.
So your (****e) neighbours report you for what we don't know, the police are duty bound to investigate are they not? Until they speak with one or both parties how can they assess if any wrongdoing has occurred? Your rant seems to be about the police rather than your ****e neighbours.

@honda
They got removed with a lot of f'ing by the neighbour.
@freddymercurystwin
Your reading it wrong, I'm saying that the Police weren't interested either and just wanted to move on. They knew it was a waste of their time, but it was their duty. They didn't even have a specific complaint, just 'something about a fence' were their words. My point is that the Police can and will investigate hanging basket complaints contrary to what a lot of people believe.
@JohnD
Not really sure what you mean?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back