Police lives matter

Sponsored Links
Most history is whitewashed one way or the other every where according to country / culture.
Agreed.

Slavery - do we have time machines available. It has nothing what so ever to do with inequality now and hasn't for rather a long time. You also need to differentiate between that and racism. They are 2 different things.
Have you read the analogy of monopoly with structural inequality?
How can you say that slavery has nothing to with structural inequality?

Of course there is a difference between slavery and racism, but the two are inextricably linked.
I argued the other day that racism bred slavery. I could only assume that people could enslave others if they failed to see them as equals. I still hold the same view.
But (I think it was Notch7) who argued that the reverse was true, that slavery bred racism. In his argument he pointed out, and linked to an article showing, how slavery had an economic aspect for its creation, as well as a cultural and ideological aspect.
I have now reappraised my view, and recognise that slavery has all three aspects, in its creation.
Therefore, racism could have created slavery and slavery could have created racism. But either way, they are inextricably linked.
So to suggest that slavery has nothing to do with racism, or vice versa, is in my view, total nonsense.

You can parrot that as many times as you wish. It doesn't make it true. It's just your opinion and that of a small but vocal minority of the population.
But the times, they are a-changing.
That small minority is growing to a larger proportion each time the movement is re-energised.

But the times, they are a-changing.
That small minority is growing to a larger proportion each time the movement is re-energised.

Next week's chip paper. They're alienating when they should and could be building support.

Sponsored Links
The trouble with the colonisation of North America was that there was not enough labour for all the land-thieves to work their new found farms and plantations etc. Presumably the indigenous population were not numerous enough or refused to submit so they were just killed.
Therefore workers had to be imported.
They could have plundered Europe for cheap labour as they did later but this must have been deemed too expensive or unacceptable so they just stole Africans and forced them to work for nothing.

This could have been racism or just blind selfishness with no thought for anything but themselves.
That the people were black obviously makes it look like racism.
The same would not apply had they kidnapped millions of Portuguese and Spanish but of course these people were also colonising the world.

It seems apparent from all of the above discussions that people do not consider the population of Britain to have been slaves for many hundreds of years.
This was obviously not racism but the method of employment was much the same except that this workforce was plentiful and already lived there.

The trouble with the colonisation of North America was that there was not enough labour for all the land-thieves to work their new found farms and plantations etc. Presumably the indigenous population were not numerous enough or refused to submit so they were just killed.
Therefore workers had to be imported.
They could have plundered Europe for cheap labour as they did later but this must have been deemed too expensive or unacceptable so they just stole Africans and forced them to work for nothing.

This could have been racism or just blind selfishness with no thought for anything but themselves.
That the people were black obviously makes it look like racism.
The same would not apply had they kidnapped millions of Portuguese and Spanish but of course these people were also colonising the world.

It seems apparent from all of the above discussions that people do not consider the population of Britain to have been slaves for many hundreds of years.
This was obviously not racism but the method of employment was much the same except that this workforce was plentiful and already lived there.
The article that Notch7 linked to identified three aspects/causes for slavery. Economic, cultural and ideological.
It's easy to understand how all three causes may have been the motivation behind slavery, depending on which incidence of slavery is under consideration.
The example that you presented, that of indigenous people working under more or less slave like conditions would be wholly attributed to economic drivers.
Some other examples, e.g Egyptians (if they were slaves) might be ideological, and or cultural.
Causes of black slavery in USA , etc could be ideological and economic drivers.

I suppose I could give some people a clue. You might call it modern slavery and is why the UK is totally different to the USA. Since WII various races have immigrated to the UK for a better life and were wanted. Reasons more complicated than I am going to go into. One was to fill certain types of jobs that whites no longer wanted. This effectively gave them an unequal start compare with whites. Numbers increased rapidly over time and 2nd generations and so on came along. Net effect is poor tend to remain poor. Some races have done better than others over time since then. Then throw in real racism. Rivers of blood speech time for instance although I am not sure that man was a racist. The people in the area he represented were though. Go to the 80's and going on a night out for a ;) lot of black country real ale with friends from work one of which was a Sikh some in nearby areas still where. A coloured face at work was pretty rare even then. Go to 2000 and things are different.

There is another increasing problem as well. Qualifications needed for just about any sort of job. Probably need an NVQ to dish out sandwiches in a cafe. That these days is very likely to set how far some one can go up the tree. A big change from long ago. My father for instance did a toolmaking apprenticeship and finished up later as the chief production engineer with a number of people working under him. The DTI used to borrow him to advise other companies. He started pre WWII made possible because the company he worked for trained him in all sorts of areas. That is seen as too expensive these days and if some one wants similar they would have to have a decent degree. That means the person is more likely to be capable of doing the job. Previously people were found by what could be called natural progression - what they proved to be capable of doing.

There is a good documentary on WIndrush on BBC2 at the moment. Don't know if the green button works but probably on Iplayer at some point.

Great work again by our Police. Shame we need more of them. They may lack resources but our Police don't lack spirit.

Go back and read what I wrote elly.
Aww bless...

When confronted with your stupidity, yet another member of the 'gang' resorts to a very similar way of addressing a forum member :rolleyes:

You have obviously not put up, but won't shut up!

Sponsored Links
Back