Political Correctness gone too far

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I watched a film on TV yesterday, The Dam Busters,

****** was a male black labrador retriever belonging to Wing Commander Guy Gibson of the Royal Air Force, and the mascot of No. 617 Squadron. Gibson owned the dog when he was previously a member of 106 Squadron

The dog's name has been edited out of the famous 1955 film adaptation the squadron's heroic work, The Dam Busters, since the 1990s - or replaced with the name Trigger. Wing Commander Gibson's dog often accompanied him on training flights and was loved by the 617 Squadron and his former 106 Squadron.

Sponsored Links
There's a place in Lancashire called Sambo's Grave (look up the story) and this is now referred to as African's Grave.

I see this this same old topic comes up about every 1 or 2 years.
As Bernard has been a member since before the first time it was mentioned (about 2008 possibly), I'm sure he's well aware of how many times it's been discussed. Search under Black Labrador, or Guy Gibson, or Dam Busters, etc for a true picture of the number of times this topic surfaces.
I wonder why people keep resurrecting this topic?
Do they have some issues that have not been covered sufficiently? Have they got some new evidence or issue or viewpoint to bring up?
Or is that they hope that their view will be held paramount this time around? :rolleyes:
Perhaps Bernard has participated in those previous discussions?

1664092952475.png

I see from some of those earlier posts that DiscoDance has also been accused of being himmy, martian, Joe, etc.
This is obviously another recurring theme. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Himmy, under various usernames certainly has.
Yes, so I see, according to those who have exhausted their ability to hold a sensible discussion and resort to ad hominem comments.
Martian, Disco Dancer, Joe, et al. were all mentioned.
I'm beginning to suspect there's only one or two real people and all the rest are multiple usernames. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I watched a film on TV yesterday, The Dam Busters,

****** was a male black labrador retriever belonging to Wing Commander Guy Gibson of the Royal Air Force, and the mascot of No. 617 Squadron. Gibson owned the dog when he was previously a member of 106 Squadron

The dog's name has been edited out of the famous 1955 film adaptation the squadron's heroic work, The Dam Busters, since the 1990s - or replaced with the name Trigger. Wing Commander Gibson's dog often accompanied him on training flights and was loved by the 617 Squadron and his former 106 Squadron.
Even his grave wasn't safe from the himmys of this world

Even his grave wasn't safe from the himmys of this world
So the grave of a dog, which happens to be called a now offensive word, and owned by a known racist, which none of the current complainers could possibly have met, never mind known, has become so dear to a few racists.
Is it the sentiment, or is that they want the offensive word to remain in the English language.
Now there's a conundrum!

Is it the sentiment, or is that they want the offensive word to remain in the English language.

The word when used as a name for a dog is not offensive, it can be offensive when used with the intent of being offensive
Why should it? bit of a strange thing to say.

Some people find the expression "black man" to be offensive

The word when used as a name for a dog is not offensive, it can be offensive when used with the intent of being offensive

Some people find the expression "black man" to be offensive
Who are these people? and its Blackman, you have inserted a space, to what ends I do not know.

Sponsored Links
Back