Polly carbonate roof on an extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a ground floor extension, apparently built without Building Regs approval or Planning Permission by the previous owner some years ago. It's one room with a pitched slate roof which is sagging in the middle. It also blocks light entering the kitchen. I'd like to replace the roof with pollycarbonate sheets and was wondering if I can get away with 25mm 5 wall or if I would need 35mm to satisfy Building Control. I don't really want to get BC involved as they would have a field day, but would still like to make sure I'm compliant just in case.

Also, I would like to replace the windows with safety glass double glazing and use a FENSA installer. If I did this and they informed BC of the work, would BC then become aware of the 'no Planning Permission' extension attached to our house and start investigating it?

Ta for any help

Jo

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the rest, but as far as the windows go, check your local council building control website, the one for my council (Sunderland) states this:-

"If the work is to your home and you employ a FENSA registered installer, you will not need to involve Building Control. If the installer is not FENSA registered you will need to submit an application."

From a discussion I had with a local glazier regards a double glazing quote for our house, he seemed to be saying that he'll issue a FENSA cert at the end of the installation and building control won't be contacted. I'm sure he said that FENSA could choose to randomly inspect the work.

Not sure about the rest.

From a discussion I had with a local glazier regards a double glazing quote for our house, he seemed to be saying that he'll issue a FENSA cert at the end of the installation and building control won't be contacted.

Nearly right. FENSA notify Building Control of the completed works - but are exempt from inspection by LABC as they are trusted under the "competent persons scheme" to have complied with all applicable BRegs. :LOL:

Which reminds me I need to start a thread about 'theoretically' replacing my front door and frame.............. :confused:

Sponsored Links
A polycarbonate roof won't meet U-value requirements for an extensions that forms a habitable room. You'll need about 170mm of insulation in the roof to meet current requirements and the regs are being upgraded in October.

Thanks for your replies!

riviera and hotrod - About FENSA and BC, just wondered if, when the glaziers notified the LABC, after certifying their own work, would the LABC then wonder what this extension was, as it wont be on any of their plans? Don't know if any one could answer that without working for the LABC. Im basically concerned that if I did upgrade the windows BC would have power to make me alter other parts of the building.

Freddy - The extension looks about 10 years old.

Nickham -With regards roof U value's, don't some extensions, that aren't classed as conservatories, have glass roofs? Isn't there some way to accommodate these in the regulations?

Ta

Jo

Why dont you just fit some Velux's? I'd be concerned about a 10 year old roof sagging. Do you know what the rafter size, centres and spans are?

riviera and hotrod - About FENSA and BC, just wondered if, when the glaziers notified the LABC, after certifying their own work, would the LABC then wonder what this extension was, as it wont be on any of their plans?

Can't put my hand on a FENSA cert at the minute, but LABC just get a copy, and from memory it's name, address and a brief description of work carried out. So for example:-

1 n.o. 1200 x 600 UPVC window
1 n.o. 600 x 600 UPVC window
1 n.o. 2000 x 807 UPVC door

installed to rear elevation at xxxx

If, however the installers happen to note that the work was completed to the new extension for example and LABC have no submission on record for any work at the given address they may make enquiries and pay you a visit and then you will have to regularise any work :oops:

If, however the installers happen to note that the work was completed to the new extension for example and LABC have no submission on record for any work at the given address they may make enquiries and pay you a visit and then you will have to regularise any work :oops:
Its the old chestnut again, in my experience BC are very unlikely to actually do anything more than write to the homeowner (possibly visit) saying they've an illegal extension and that the homeowner should regularize. However if the OP tries to do anything properly with BC in the future the inspectors may insist on regularizing the illegal works using the certificate for the new works as ransom.

Nickham -With regards roof U value's said:
Yes, they can. But, it depends usually on how much is your budget. I've recently got a structural glass conservatory through Building Regs (it was open to the rest of the house). We firstly had to have a complete house SAP analysis done which identified that if we upgraded the insulation in the roof space we could get away with the increased glass area. It's all about trade off between one element of the construction and another so the overall carbon emissions from the house are the same as it would have been if you restrict the glass area to no more than 25% of the floor area. Another way to do it is by using high spec triple glazing plus increasing wall insulation. Had some cracking triple glazed doors in from Germany last year. They alone cost £30,000. I don't wish to alarm you, but most things are possible if you can afford it.
Cheers,
Nick

Its the old chestnut again, in my experience BC are very unlikely to actually do anything more than write to the homeowner (possibly visit) saying they've an illegal extension and that the homeowner should regularize. However if the OP tries to do anything properly with BC in the future the inspectors may insist on regularizing the illegal works using the certificate for the new works as ransom.

Also, when you come to sell, you may get a problem as you won't be able to supply a final certificate that signs off the construction for Building Regs. A client of mine from a few years ago recently contacted me as the builder hadn't involved Building Control during construction and now he's in the situation of trying to complete a sale he can't as the purchaser's solicitor is asking for the paperwork. Mind you, not everyone cares. You obviously purchased the property. :confused:

Thanks again for replies. I'm not sure exactly the age of the extension. It's an excouncil house that was bought in the late 90's. I think it was added after this.

It's built onto the kitchen, Velux windows would let some extra light through but I'd probably need to replace/ repair the roof anyway to support them.

Here is a photo from the house survey

We were thinking of knocking it down to build a conservatory but don't have much cash. I think i'll have to weigh up my options and cost them all before I make a decision.

Ta

Jo

Your right Nickam, we did buy it without the BR certificates, the extension actually attracted me to the house. Had it been fully compliant we probably couldn't have afforded it. I'd just like to make the windows safe and let more light in.

I think using a FENSA installer seems safe enough. I might be able to repair the roof fairly easily too. At least then I can show on selling that we did the right things whilst living here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back