Polo drum brakes holding on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
mk5 2011 6R 1.2 TDI

After some servicing yesterday, I test drove on a steep hill to check the brakes and noticed the handbrake holding on for a few seconds facing up hill.

I presumed it to be a handbrake cable so set about pulling the drums apart but when stripped, the cables, disconnected from the handbrake linkage, were free enough.

Reassembled with new Apec shoes, all mechanicals ceramic greased, went on the hill and exactly the same. Handbrake holds on up hill for a seconds. If I yank it on again, it frees it. Downhill handbrake release is fine.

I presume its a tendency of these drums brakes to bind like this which I suppose if help for pulling off when stopped uphill?

By the way, for those it may help. Although the drum and hub are separate, the hub or wheel cylinder (my option) has to be removed to get the shoes off/on.

Sponsored Links
With the hill start assist, you hold the car on the foot brake - only uphill, not down hill......the brakes will stay on for a couple of seconds before automatically releasing, allowing you to get on the clutch and pull away.
Is this what you mean?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hill hold assist is a additional function of the ABS unit, it applies all the brakes and prevents roll back, although it might seem like the rears, it actually works on all four

With the hill start assist, you hold the car on the foot brake - only uphill, not down hill......the brakes will stay on for a couple of seconds before automatically releasing, allowing you to get on the clutch and pull away.
Is this what you mean?
John :)

Essentially, yes.

A good handbrake, I know, should release as soon as its taken off but if its holding for a few seconds after release when up hill, not letting the car roll back, then its not too much of a concern. I can still pull off and drive forward.

2D970EED-2069-4DFC-B650-9C4E3C3AADD4.jpeg

Well, you live and learn. Thanks for the info folks, much appreciated.

Presumably there's a sensor on the ABS pump to signal the incline position?

Try stopping on a hill, switching the engine off and then release the handbrake. If it rolls back instantly, you’ll know the hill hold is working. (y)

Have just returned from a test drive on the hill. The ABS anti roll back is in perfect working order. Stopped the car uphill, handbrake on, engine off, handbrake off and the car started to roll back straight away.

The old brakes shoes were nearly down to the rivets and new one are bonded so longer life.

All is well and I can hand the car back tomorrow equipped with smooth new brakes, back and front.

Thanks All!

Sponsored Links
Back