Poly Carbonate Lean To Greenhouse.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at getting a lean to greenhouse to get my early veg sowed. So far this is the best price as it includes a free base and postage. The only thing is I have read some reviews about their standard greenhouses and people have issues with the plastic sheets popping out in high winds.

http://www.webretailuk.co.uk/STOCK_...Leanto_Greenhouse_STOCK.htm?source=googlebase

This is the type I want as the plastic ones never last and my cat goes through them as he claws his way up to sit on the warm roof. VAT will go up soon so I need to get one ASAP. Also, if I can get cashback it will be a bonus but this website doesn't come up on any cashback sites.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You haven't really asked a question. You simply made a statement of your intended purchase. :confused:

Sorry, I only want to know if anyone has one and can recommend it.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone else who actually has one recommend them ?
Well I have had one. Not a very good one though - B&Q with polycarbonate glazing for safety. I found that the polycarbonate didn't give the rigidity that glass does and that, together with our strong winds led to quite a bit of panels popping out. So I wouldn'r recommend it based on that.

I'd suggest getting a better one with toughened glass for safety. It's what I have now and it is excellent.

If you do go ahead with polycarbonate I'd suggest siliconing the panels as glazing clips alone just aren't up to it long-term.

<edit> Had a looki at what you're thinking of. I see it's twin-wall polycarbonate. I don't know what this is like - mine had solid sheets.

the person i know with one has problems when there is strong wind

Looks like that's made my decision for me. Of course mine is sheltered as it's walled and would be secured to the house but perhaps it's not a good idea. I will go for glass.

I recently had an 18ft x 9ft workshop erected in the garden, designed for clear wall-space for my partner's intended lean-to - an Elite easy-grow model (2.2ft x 6.5ft). We went for polycarbonate however as young kids in the rear-facing garden often send balls soaring over the fence, so far less likely to cause damage.

We had read about polycarbonate sheets popping in high winds so we went for the lipped framework option (bar capping to retain the panels better and help improve sealing against the elements). That said, Elite models use 6mm polycarbonate sheets for improved flex resistance.

As suggested, silicone sealer would be advisable if you haven't included the capping option, and don't forget that toughened glass is more brittle and primarily chosen for shatter safety so that dangerous glass shards don't form from a breakage. If securing to a building subject to natural movement or heavage (for example, a wooden structure atop its own base over clay soil), then allow a bit of slack for wind and seasonal flexing to avoid possible breakage from natural stresses on the frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back