Poly Ripple ceiling i think.

S

skodaman007

Hi all,i have a ceiling which is not artex but that poly ripple (poo).As you will probaly think i want to cover it up with plaster.
I would rather get a professional person in but the ceiling is over a stair well and it can only be done overnight in stages.
So,this is how (after reading many helpful hints here)i want to do it.
1-knock off high parts of polyripple.
2-brush ceiling.
3-apply dilute pva 2 coats.
4-plaster in stages with wickes or similar ready mixed plaster skim.
5-tidy up trowel marks.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The key to the job you describe is safe staging, and being safe while on the staging.

How do you know how long, "overnight" the job will take?

Too many variables for safe DIY - but if you can do a bit, then perhaps pay a plasterer for his guidance, if one is willing, and you do the work?

Get a pro plasterer in, it'll be done before you know it. To mess about knocking high spots off here and there, plaster in stages, tidy up trowel marks after. Sorry Skodaman, it sounds a recipe for a bodge up. Bite the bullet, get a plasterer in. Get 2 or 3 quotes, explain the situation,and away you go.

The problem with a pro is that he'll be charging for getting up there.

If he does it himself as he said then I reckon he will get away with it, who looks up at a landing stairway anyway?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies.
I contacted 3 local building companies who do plastering arranged for them to give me estimates,waited in and none of them turned up.
When passing a local loft conversion company i asked them if they can recommend a plasterer,they gave me 2 addresses where their contract plasters were working,met their plasterer and was able to see their finished work so i took them on.
So all done now,they told me where to buy the materials inc victorian coving (even cheaper 30% less than b&q,wickes inc delivery).

Yes polish plasterers with an excellent attitude to work and cash.
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back