Polycarbonate Multiwall....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Quick one hopefully, I have been advised to use polycarbonate multiwall for the roof of a lean to structure I am planning to put on the back of my garage. First of all, any problems with this roofing material I should be aware of, I have never used it before - or seen it for that matter.

Also, I have seen a lot of online places selling it, and I am not sure which way my measurements need to be as to get a piece or pieces that are layed correctly. I notice the material has 'lines' that run through it, I assume these run the length of the materia i.e. the way the water would run off? Do these lines go with the pitch of the roof?

It makes a difference to me because of the small area I want to cover, as it means getting one peiece or several to make it lay the right way......Hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Don't use 10mm use 16 mm or 25mm, the opal sheets hide a lot of dirt when looking up, yes wheichever way the water runs along them is the run of the lines.

You can get reinforced bars that hold themselves up or timber supported bars that sit on a timber frame. Dont use fixing buttons through the poly into wood use the proper glazing bars. Make sure the poly is breather taped and you need a sheet closure at the 'drip' end otherwise the breather tape gets wet and moss starts to creep up the flutes.

Thanks for the reply Mw Roofline! So to be clear, the water to run in the same direction of the flutes right?

Ok, will look into 16mm opal. At the moment though it seems I might struggle to get this in one piece at 3 meter by 1.5 meter with shorter measurement being the run of the water....and even though in one peice the only way I could fix it to my timber structure would be to nail it down.....

I have seen the accessories to 'join' sheets together but I'm not sure how you get away from nailing it down each sheet needs to be attached to part of my lean to..... :confused:

Ok, so I took another look online, and I assume it's the glazing bars you were referring to, these will hold the sheet down, so how much space should I leave between each of my rafters?

Sponsored Links
:?: All I've done is link to something I've personally used for this purpose which you can easily find via Google, I don't work for 'em.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back