Polycarbonate Roof Cleaning Methods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi....Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to clean a polycarbonate roof.
The roof has a thin green crust on it which is only going to get worse over the winter.
Are there any products on the market for this purpose or is it soapy water and elbow grease.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can get industrial strength uPVC cleaner from suppliers of uPVC windows, soffits etc....they would prob. know if o.k for polycarb. around £5.00 a bottle

Sponsored Links
hot soapy water and elbow grease should do the trick and will be cheaper. i think its what most of the manufacturers recomend

you may want to try elbow grease, detrgent and a splash of bleach

scatmanjohn said:
Freddie...I think is some form of algae.

Then there is only one killer of Algae or Moss that will make it stop away each time it's treated and i discovered this by accident ( long story ).

If you ask your local chip shop to sell you a gallon of neat Acetic acid which is what they used for vinegar when watered down.

You need to water it down about 10-1 and spray it on your roof or anywhere you have weeds, it will kill 100% not because it is toxic or burns but because it will make the ground or area of growth too Acidic just like acid rain, and nothing will grow back there untill the PH level has been neutralised or the rain has washed enough of the acidity away.

Only drawback i found was that it sent steel rusty and it stinks to high heaven when first applied, but totally effective and safe but dont get it in your eyes cause it stings like hell.

You could try a test piece with vinigar but it will work out expensive to do the roof with it.

:LOL: I posted about that stuff on general..under condiments thread, never guessed it would kill algae bloody good idea :idea: PS. It`s a chinese chippy called the Yuk Fu do you think they`re telling us summat :?: ........Get `em under trades descriptions .you`re not allowed to call IT vinegar...must be labelled as Non Brewed Condiment :eek: "Yew wa` sal an no blew conriment"

Oh and if your neighbour is a git, go and write something in his lawn in big letters with this watered down Acetic acid, nothing will grow back for at least 3 months or he discovered what you used so he can neutralise it with lime.

Thanks Freddie sounds very interesting that. I will be giving it a go when my missus allows me a day off work :oops:

Go in your shed and get all of those bits of copper plumbing fitting you will use one day :>), get those old 1/2p 's you meant to cash in and that collection of 1962 pennies. that copper bracelet for your artheritis. put them all in a bucket of 90% water 10% vinegar and leave for a few months. Then use it liberally on your roof (garden sprayer) and replace the bit you used with more water and vinegar. Hav it to hand and spray on occasion..... Percy Thrower .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back