Polycell DIY secondary glazing - any experience?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, at some time I am wanting to fit some secondary glazing into the windows that are on the front of the house.

I have been given plenty of kits made by polycell which were sold off when a shed closed many years ago & apart from the paper instructions rotting they are fine.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of (and can remember) these DIY kits?

I have both the UPVC & the metal ones.
2 sliding panes per window.

The current windows are double glazed about 5' x 4', the sill is about 18" deep.

I'll check with this to see if I need safety glass in.

Is there any recommended distance from the double glazing to put them? or is it just down to being far enough away for er indoors to get a vase in :D

Sponsored Links
sell it sell it sell it,

then save,

buy double glazing, the secondary stuff is an easy fix but most kits are not nice to live with and are never as good as the 'should' be.

The current windows are double glazed about 5' x 4', the sill is about 18" deep.

32mm deep double glazing too but we are on a busy road so it is noisy.
I'm not selling what are perfectly good frames when I'm sure that secondary glazing will really help.

Cheers.

I fitted it in a previous home. It worked well but, not perfectly.
Its good points. It can be fitted with a four or eight inch gap, between it and the existing glass. Eight inches is the best for sound insulation.
The sliding stuff, is good as it can be lifted out for cleaning but, it is not so good for sound. For sound you need a tight fit, preferably in one piece.
Downside, a large piece of glass, is very heavy and in one piece you may be able to lift it now, but when you get old?

Sponsored Links
Cheers Perryone, I'll proberably have a 10-12" gap so there is room to get a vase within the window for er indoors.

Not too bothered about lifting it out when old, got 2 boys who are big enough :D

I can see that doing the corners may be difficult & figuring out how big a bit of glass to order.
But I'll get there.

As for sound, almost anything will help.

Hello all, at some time I am wanting to fit some secondary glazing into the windows that are on the front of the house.

I have been given plenty of kits made by polycell which were sold off when a shed closed many years ago & apart from the paper instructions rotting they are fine.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of (and can remember) these DIY kits?

I have both the UPVC & the metal ones.
2 sliding panes per window.

I'll check with this to see if I need safety glass in.

Is there any recommended distance from the double glazing to put them? or is it just down to being far enough away for er indoors to get a vase in :D

Hello do you happen to have any instructions for fitting multi pane kit,please.

sorry no.
I have not bothered with these since I posted here in 2008

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back