Polypipe underfloor heating

BWG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder has just installed a Polypipe (http://www.polypipe.com/housing/underfloor-heating) underfloor heating system. On top of the Polypipe system he has stuck down Deltaboard thermal construction board to make the surface smooth and flat for tiling.

My concern is that Deltaboard thermal construction board will act as an insulator and stop the heat from rising out. I've discussed this with him and he insists it is not a problem. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20161015_100537.jpg
    20161015_100537.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 237
Sponsored Links
I'm guessing he should have used ditra or a self levelling latex compound?

Pretty sure that's supposed to go UNDER the UFH to stop the heat going into the ground, not above it or as you say the heat won't come through!

Sponsored Links
My concern is that Deltaboard thermal construction board will act as an insulator and stop the heat from rising out. I've discussed this with him and he insists it is not a problem. Thoughts?

He's a knob, if he's thick enough to do this what else has he done wrong?

Ditra matting or hardiebacker board are the two approved by polypipe. You shouldn't use self leveling compound containing latex as it can case the pipes too lift.

He ended up taking out the 6mm Deltaboard and replacing it with Ditra in the first area where it has been installed.

We're also getting it put into another section. On the Polypipe web site it suggests tiling directly onto the overlay board as an option. I can't see any references to problems with using a latex self leveling compound, saying that I can't see anywhere they say it's ok.

had various debates with polypipe on this very subject, tiling onto polypipe.....

you'll find most tilers wont tile directly onto it.

theres two options that we give to our customers.

lay a decoupling mat with an s2 adhesive, and fix tiles with the s2 adhesive, but my preferred way and one that gets specd by our tile adhesive supplier tilemaster is pour tm rapid level 30 or tm levelflex leveller over polypipe, then use tm ulitmate s2 to fix tiles.

fitting deltaboards/wedi/marmox type boards wouldnt help with the heat coming up. nor more ply or hardie cement boards are also another alternative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back