Polyplumb fittings - temp range

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know the safe min temp for polypipe fittings? cannot seem to find anything on their website. Got plastic polyplumb pipes running in a groove channelled into external cavity wall. The pipes are joined by a 90 degree elbow. There is a small gap in the wall behind the pipe so that you can actually see the outside wall on the other side of the cavity. Wondering whether this will affect the fittings when it gets colder in winter.

Sponsored Links
Anyone? I've already dot and dabbed boards over the pipework without really thinking / paying attention to what had been done - so wanted to know whether I need to be cutting the plasterboard off and fixing the hole somehow.

So, you're saying that the pipes are on the inside face of the blockwork course, that has now been plaster boarded over?

To all intents and purposes, these pipes are inside your house. Pipes don't normally freeze inside walls, as the masonary and plasterboard will act as insulation.

The pipes in the walls would gain an amount of heat from the room, provided a minimum level of heating is maintained.
You would only have a problem in an extremely severe winter, and only then if you had zero heating. Presumably, the house is inhabited and heated during the winter?

Thousands of homes have bare copper or plastic pipes behind dot/dab plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply

Yes, the pipes are inside the blockwork course -- EXCEPT part of a brick is missing on the inside wall of the cavity - so that you can put your hand through and touch the external wall of the cavity - i.e. the outside bricks of the house. I souhld havep ayed more attention before boarding up and had a go at filling the gap - but didn't and its now praying on my mind a bit that I'm going to have a wet room should severe weather cause the pipe fittings to fail

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back