Polystyrene boards under laminate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine completed a self build about six months ago and when I went round to have a look the ground floor felt really nice underfoot.

He said the setup was a poured concrete floor, damp proof vapour barrier over that, with polystyrene insulation boards (like this http://www.wickes.co.uk/polystyrene-insulation-board/invt/210823/) laid over the top followed by a floating Quickstep laminate floor.

Apparently something went awry with the original concrete floor and left him with a ridged/uneven section and it was going to be a bit of a ballache to level off, so he used the polystyrene tiles which absorb a lot of lumps and bumps but are still firm enough to lay a laminate floor over, this was on the advice of a local floor installer. It raised the floor level by a couple of cm but as the build had no doors installed at that time it wasn't a big issue to work around.

The laminate seemed nice and quiet to walk on to me, a bit springy underfoot, and didn't appear to flex to any noticable degree, so I'm considering using the above method when I fit my own laminate floor.

Has anyone done this before? Any reasons why it might be a good or bad idea?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back