Polystyrene tiles between rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I probably already know the answer to this question but I will ask it anyway. We had all the roof tiles replaced about five years ago and afterwards I renewed the loft insulation and boarded the loft. I also fitted 2" thick polystyrene between the rafters, the polystyrene being cut into tiles that wedged between the rafters, totally covering the membrane. I did this as I was going to use the loft for a train layout, however that never happened but I left the the tiles in place.

Recently I have been hearing that this it is not a good idea to enclose the rafters in any way as this can prevent the loft breathing and the tiles can trap moisture between them and the rafters which can lead to rot in the long term. As a result, I have removed a few tiles to check the state of the rafters underneath. The rafters seem dry so far but should I remove them all now to prevent any problems in the future?

Sponsored Links
is there roofing felt under the tiles?
If not, the gap will have ventilation.

Modern practice is to use "breathable membrane" which is slightly porous, I suppose a bit like gore-tex

the real problem is with sprayed-on foam, which sticks to the roof timbers and holds damp.

Yes, I have a breathable membrane. The polystyrene is effectively up against the membrane.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back