Pond Help.. not sure what maintenance is needed..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly I haven't much knowledge of ponds. I have relatives who have taken ill and not able to guide me on the subject. The ponds appear somewhat neglected.
One relation has dimentia and tends to overfeed the fish.

They have two ponds of about a bathtub size each. The two ponds each have a pump that pumps into a box with a sponge filter, and a pipe that returns the water to the pond.

When I visit, the pumps appear to be not working. On checking, the intake screens seem to be blocked. After a hose down and also squirting water through the outlet pipe to the filter tank the pump gets going again.

There are also small insect like creatures in the pond and on the pumps when i lift them out (switched off) but not sure if they're harmless or not to the goldfish.

The filter tanks are filthy, not sure how to clean them out. I was thinking of disconnecting the pipes from them and taking them to one side to give them a good clean out.

Otherwise all is good. someone has fitted a timer on the pumps so they operate at intervals. about 4 hrs . on then 4 hours off. I was leaving them on 24hrs.

One pond for some reason remains cloudy with a pea green tinge.

Any advice greatly received thanks. I'd hate if the the goldfish were to die on me.

Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention, I have cousins who fitted the pond but frankly don't really help out. May have been them who fitted the timer on the pumps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back