Pond Lining Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a sort of crust which has formed on the lining of my pond. Also, accidentally, I over dosed my fish on anti fungus & bacteria treatment which has caused green matter to grow on this crust which is making the water very dirty, apart from the pond looking unsightly. I have tried to replace half of the water, (the pond is about 400 gallons) but can anyone advise how I can get rid of this crust which has formed? Hosing the sides does help to remove some of it. Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
During the flood of 2007 in South Yorkshire, our pond was overcome with water. Some of the fish were found 3 doors down swimming around the garden. They were only smallish goldfish. Anyway a few months later, only one fish survived and we decided to bucket it, drain the whole pond, get in and pressure wash it (cautiously, rubber liner). This was the only way to be sure of removing all the contaminants from the pond (who knows what was in the water, it certainly killed most of the fish!)

11 years on, that one fish still survives!! Don't actually know how old it is - I THINK it was one I had as a young teenager in my bedroom aquarium - I'm 32 now. It has grown since and lives amongst some mature large ghost koi and younger goldfish.

Anyhow, I have no idea how big 400 gallons is, but our pond was 4ft x 8ft x 2ft6.

Thank you Steve for your reply, that one goldfish of yours must have great stamina! I have a very old goldfish as well, about 10 years at least, I call him Hoppy, as he is always jumping out of the water, not out of the pond though. I rather think the crust forming round my pond is because I live in a very hard water area but I am not sure whether I can buy anything to remedy this. All my fish survived the accidental overdose, I think my pond must be similar in size to yours. I'll have to investigate re the hard water to see what I can do.

Hard water shouldn't affect it unless you're constantly topping it up. You could buy a water testing kit fairly cheaply and see if there's high levels of anything in the water. They give a good indication of any problems in your pond.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Steve and Ian, I have always had a filter with UV light but tested the water this morning and the nitrate is up although in 15 years I have never had this problem before. I think it may be a combination of putting water in from the water butts into the pond which maybe wasn't very clean and the UV bulb has been in a year so may not be working so will buy a new one. Also miscalculating the anti fungus didn't help although the fish seem OK. Will also try a Nitrate Klear solution and see if that helps. Many thanks for your replies.

UV bulbs last only about 6 months. I only buy one a year, but use it from Spring to Autumn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back