Pool Chalet electrics instal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok here goes, just looking for advice.

I have built a large shed in my garden for a pool table and am just about ready to install sockets and lights.

I have an IP65 63amp 30ma RCD 2 way garage c/u with 1 x 6A and 1 x16A.

Now I have an electrician friend who is going to come and check and certify all my work but he is exceptionally busy at the moment and as he is doing me a favour I dont particularly want to bug him too much prior to the day. (As he is also installing new c/u to my house.

So my intention was to have some down lights on a radial circuit around the room, (probs 4 inset from the corners.) along with a light supply to the pool table lights. Now first question is can i just install a switch in the radial to supply the pool table light or does it need to be on a separate supply.If it does can I just take this out of the same 6A slot? I want to have control separate to the down lights. I intend using 1.5mm cable and also wondered if I need conduit where the cable is behind the plasterboard of the interior wall where it leaves the c/u.

I also intend approx 4/5 double sockets around the room. These are for fridge freezer for the beers/ice etc. Surround sound/stereo/tv, electric heating in the winter and hoover from time to time. Again I intend just using a radial circuit and just wanted to check that this was ok. Is there any benefit to a ring and if so would the 16A have to be uprated or is this adequate for the items I am going to be using. Also where the cables are behind plasterboard is there a requirement for any conduit.

Lastly i am going to use 6mm SWA from House C/U but would really like to take this overhead from somewhere out of eaves to the garage c/w strainer wire so as to avoid digging a newly laid patio. Is this legal. The prospect of digging up patio and lawn is truly horrific.
Any thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Now I have an electrician friend who is going to come and check and certify all my work but he is exceptionally busy at the moment and as he is doing me a favour I dont particularly want to bug him too much prior to the day. (As he is also installing new c/u to my house.

Assuming your electrician can self certify he is not allowed to certify your work.

So my intention was to have some down lights on a radial circuit around the room, (probs 4 inset from the corners.) along with a light supply to the pool table lights. Now first question is can i just install a switch in the radial to supply the pool table light or does it need to be on a separate supply.If it does can I just take this out of the same 6A slot? I want to have control separate to the down lights. I intend using 1.5mm cable and also wondered if I need conduit where the cable is behind the plasterboard of the interior wall where it leaves the c/u.

I'm not sure what you mean. You run a 1mm or 1.5mm T&E from the CU (6 amp MCB) to the first light position. Then you run 1mm or 1.5mm T&E from the first light position to the switch. From the first light position you run your loop out to the next light position and so on.

There is another way to do it but I would do it as above.
I also intend approx 4/5 double sockets around the room. These are for fridge freezer for the beers/ice etc. Surround sound/stereo/tv, electric heating in the winter and hoover from time to time. Again I intend just using a radial circuit and just wanted to check that this was ok. Is there any benefit to a ring and if so would the 16A have to be uprated or is this adequate for the items I am going to be using. Also where the cables are behind plasterboard is there a requirement for any conduit.

No point in a ring
16amp is fine. you could use a 20amp (assuming you are using 2.5mm T&E)
You do not need to run cable in conduit provided you follow prescribed zones.

Lastly i am going to use 6mm SWA from House C/U but would really like to take this overhead from somewhere out of eaves to the garage c/w strainer wire so as to avoid digging a newly laid patio. Is this legal. The prospect of digging up patio and lawn is truly horrific.

Why 6mm? have you done the calculations? What is your Ze? What is the length of cable?

Catenary wire is fine.

A qualified, registered electrician should really be making these decisions.

What does riveralt have to do with it ?

;)

OK I see what you mean about the pool table light. Just take the loop out from the other lights to the pool table light and run a switch wire from the light position to the pool table light switch.

Sponsored Links
Reason for 6mm is I have an abundance of it available from work. Calcs have been done by electrician and shed 12m from c/u

Of course - I expect these things to do what I want not as I ask :mrgreen:
You are the Google programmer responsible for "Did you mean xxxxx? Searching instead for yyyyy", and I claim my free 10 minutes round the back of the bike sheds with you.... :evil:

Of course - I expect these things to do what I want not as I ask :mrgreen:
You are the Google programmer responsible for "Did you mean xxxxx? Searching instead for yyyyy", and I claim my free 10 minutes round the back of the bike sheds with you.... :evil:

I'm working on another beta version that narrows searches down to all words, terms and sentences that includes the the letter "e" This will result in a much more accurate search algorithm allowing users to find what they need within a few days assuming they use a team of researchers. The bike shed thing was just a Freudian slip while I was writing an article about the "mains cycle" :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back